The following are opportunities for student volunteers in Louisville for April.
Throughout April – various activities at the Family Emergency Shelter
– Flexible hours
– Students are needed to help with meals, organization, etc.
– Location: Family Emergency Shelter 1321 South Preston Street Louisville, KY 40208.
– Details: Activities include serving a meal (individual); providing, preparing and serving a meal (group); opening the play room (group of 3-5); organizing and cleaning storage facilities (individual or group). Contact Josh Kornberg, the Community Engagement Coordinator of Volunteers of America Kentucky to volunteer and schedule specific times. Contact him at 502.636.4644 (desk) or 502.303.6993 (cell).
Ends May 31 – Provide homework help for Latino elementary school students
– Monday through Thursday from 4:00 to 5:00 PM
– Help improve reading and writing skills of ESL students
– Location: Buechel – United Methodist Church 2817 Hikes Lane, Louisville, KY 40218
– Details: You must commit to attending the program at least one day a week for an entire semester. Offer homework and educational-enrichment to elementary school Latino students. For more information or to sign up visit the United Methodist Church or visit their website.
April 16th – Invasive Plant Removal
– 1:30 – 4:30 PM
– Help clear plants.
– Location: Seneca Park, Louisville KY
– Details: Closed-toed shoes are required. Restore, enhance, and preserve the Olmstead vision. To sign up fill out the form here.
Saturday, April 20th – Waverly Park Volunteer Trail Team Project Day April
– 9:00 AM to finish
– Help clear walking trails
– Location: Meet at playground parking lot in Waverly Park.
– Details: Trail Team and KYMBA join to improve trails in Waverly. Activities include using hand tools to cut overhanging limbs and encroaching shrubs, addressing erosion issues, and trail repair. Anyone is welcome. Closed-toed shoes are required. Water, gloves, tools and instructions are provided.
Saturday, April 28th – Backside Trail Marathon
– 7:00 AM – 11:30 AM OR 11:30 AM – 4:00 PM
– Cherokee and Seneca Park
– Volunteers are needed to help during the Mini Marathon. Morning and afternoon shifts are available. Contact Troy Shellhammer at [email protected] for more information and to sign up. Proceeds go to the Olmsted Parks Conservancy.
All April – Special Events Volunteer for KY Refugee Ministries
– Shifts: Flexible, will work with your schedule.
– Help plan KRM’s fall/spring events.
– Location: 969 B Cherokee Road Louisville, KY 40204.
– Details: Must be at least 14 years old. You will assist with sending out invitations, supervising the children’s area and helping children at the arts and crafts table at the Highlands festival, setting up events, working ticket booths, and selling baked goods. For more information or to volunteer go to this website.
Every Monday night in April (4-15, 4-22, 4-29) – River City Love Squad
– 7 PM – 9 PM.
– Serve meals to local homeless people.
– Location: Lord’s Chapel at 2735 S. 4th St. Louisville, KY 40292
– To volunteer or for more information contact Pastor Joe McGrew at (502)-533-7257 or go to the organization’s website. The mission of the River City Love Squad is to feed, clothe, and shelter the homeless and needy.
TAGS: volunteer, volunteerism, volunteer opportunities, April