Manuals boys celebrate amongst each other after being crowned District Champs.
Manual’s boys celebrate amongst each other after being crowned District Champs.

Baseball cruises to victory on Senior Night

The Manual baseball team crushed the Waggener Wildcats 17-1 on Tuesday evening at Derby City Field. The seniors on the team were recognized in a pregame ceremony as a thank-you for their commitment to the team.

The seniors that were recognized were Calen Loveall (#1), Lukas Motley (#2), Jackson Medley (#13), Austin Bedell (#21), Will Marquardt (#22), Mason Trenaman (#25), Aaron Sary (#32) and Hallie Rodman (Student Assistant).

(Left to right) Hallie Rodman (Student Assistant), Lukas Motley (#2), Mason Trenaman (#25), Austin Bedell (#21), Calen Loveall (#1), Jackson Medley (#13), Will Marquardt (#22) and Aaron Sary (#32) pose during their senior night ceremony. Photo courtesy of @ManualAthletics on Twitter.

Motley got the start on the mound for the Crimsons. He cruised through his three innings, allowing one hit and recording multiple strikeouts.

The Manual offense came alive early and continued to flourish throughout the game. The Crimsons scored three runs after singles by Sary and Gabe Lawrence (11, #15) scored a pair of runs and a passed ball allowed another runner to come home.

After the Wildcats were sat down in order in the top of the second, the Crimson offense poured on eight more runs in the bottom half. Sary belted a triple to right field that scored two runners and a multitude of Waggener errors allowed six more runs to come across.

“The offense was really clicking tonight. We got it going early and didn’t take our foot off the gas,” Medley said.

The Wildcats’ lone run came off a single to deep left-center field that scored a runner from third in the top of the fourth inning. Medley promptly struck out the next batter to end the inning.

Manual tacked on a few more runs in the bottom of the fourth, extending their lead to 17-1. The game ended by mercy rule (having a 10-run lead after five innings) after the top of the fifth inning when the Wildcats couldn’t muster enough offense to keep the game going.

“It’s always good to get a win, especially on senior night. I’m proud of my guys and we’re ready to finish out the year strong,” Medley said.