Parents and students puzzle it out at J&C trivia night

Trivia teams talking among themselves in between rounds at the Journalism and Communication magnet annual Trivia Night. Photo by Isaac Barnett

Guest Contributor

This story was submitted by Isaac Barnett (10, J&C). 

Manual’s Journalism and Communication magnet (J&C) held their annual Trivia Night sponsored by the Publishers on Feb. 23 at 1619 Flux Art + Activism on West Main Street. 

The event ran from 5-8 and cost $20 per seat and $160 per table. There was a discounted price for students; $15 per seat $120 per table. 

The goal of the event was to raise money for the Publishers, a non-profit organization run by parents and volunteers that supports the J&C magnet. The Publishers also use some of their funding to provide scholarships to outstanding J&C students and, more recently, to help aid students financially when paying for J&C field trips.

Pizza, chili, snacks, desserts and soft drinks were available for purchase throughout the night to help raise money. There were also gift baskets made by each J&C publication that were up for silent auction.

“The Publishers should really get more credit. They are so unappreciated considering all that they have done to help our magnet,” Isabella Bonilla (10, J&C) said. 

Every year, J&C teacher Mr. Miller writes all of the questions for trivia night. There were ten trivia categories with ten questions in each category this year. The topics included Stanley Kubrick, “The Office,” Tony Winners, Classic Video Games, The White House, Name The Artist, Sports Scandals, The 27 Club, Ancient Ruins and the final category was a mix of random trivia.

“The Stanley Kubrick section was my favorite because I love film. It was fun to actually know the answers because I definitely didn’t know them for some of the other categories,” Evan Showalter (12, J&C) said.

Eight teams participated in the event, and they were made up of a mixture of J&C students, parents and Manual teachers. The winner was a team named “Freedom Fries,” and they won a prize of $200 to split among each other.