New schedule combines in-person and asynchronous learning

Ofelia Mattingly and Payton Carns

Principal Michael Newman sent out the new learning schedule to the Manual community this afternoon, which combines synchronous and asynchronous learning for both virtual and in-person students.

Manual releases the schedule for students returning to school after spring break. Graphic by Molly Gregory.

The schedule follows the announcement that JCPS schools will return in-person starting after Spring Break.

The district is following a hybrid plan for all grades; students with the last names A-K will go to school on Monday and Tuesday and L-Z will go on Thursday and Friday. For Manual, the traditional block schedule will remain with Monday and Thursdays being White days and Tuesdays and Fridays being Red days. The first day students will return is April 5th, a white day. During the days in-person students are at home, usually Wednesdays, they will be given asynchronous activities to do and complete at home.

For students remaining in NTI, the time of classes will change to accommodate what students are used to. Teachers were surveyed on who would volunteer to teach their classes virtually beyond their in-person classes. Manual has implemented virtual instructional hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 2:30-3:30. Students who remain in NTI will be expected to attend all of their classes on Wednesdays. Teachers are also given the option to move their virtual instructional hour into their planning period during the school day. Manual Administration will continue to survey teachers, but it is projected from the initial survey that 93% of teachers are willing to teach virtually. If an event occurs where the teachers are not able to teach their online class, other teachers who volunteered will help cover their virtual classes. If a particular course does not have a teacher, Manual will work individually with the student to provide opportunities for enrollment in online software like Edmentum and eSchool. Staff will reach out to students to arrange a final schedule for the virtual experience if they are impacted by this scenario. Students enrolled in Co-Op or UofL Dual Credit Courses will work individually with the staff to arrange an appropriate virtual schedule to finish off the year.