Scheduling classes for the 2021-2022 school year

The+counselors+website+features+an+entire+section+on+how+students+can+schedule+their+classes+for+next+year%2C+as+well+as+how+to+find+additional+information+for+informed+desicions.+Photo+by+Isabella+Bonilla+

The counselors’ website features an entire section on how students can schedule their classes for next year, as well as how to find additional information for informed desicions. Photo by Isabella Bonilla

Isabella Bonilla

Current freshman, sophomore and junior students have until April 9, 2021 to create and submit their class schedule for the 2021-2022 school year. Students can complete this online through Internet Campus.

All high school students are required to have a minimum of three science credits, three social studies credits, four math credits, four English credits and any necessary elective/magnet specific credits for graduation. In addition, students must also fulfill at least two foreign language credits in a single area of study (Spanish, French, German), one physical education/health credit and complete their art appreciation credit. (This may be fulfilled through taking either three VA/YPAS courses or a HAVPA course). 

The official student scheduling guide with outlines of magnet/grade specific requirements and other details is linked here.

Both the duPont Manual and YPAS counselors will be providing open meetings during Crimson Days. Administration encourages students to attend at least one session, ideally their grade level or magnet specific session. Students should check the Crimson Day schedule for that week (posted in Google Classroom) to see what type of sessions are on offer and what they may be interested in attending. Although it is not mandatory, these sessions are valuable resources where students are able to bring up questions or learn new, beneficial information. 

Administrators have provided in-depth, step-by-step instructions to facilitate the scheduling process for students and parents through Infinite Campus. The PDF is linked here. It may be useful to complete this a few days prior to the deadline, for ample time to address any questions or concerns with your counselor. 

Students should note that they need to request at least eight courses for the next school year, with an additional three alternate requests if needed. Students who do not have electives in their schedule do not need to request alternates. Students who choose study skills as one of their electives will also not have to request an alternate, as that course is automatically received. 

The full course listing and descriptions for the 2021-22 school year is linked here. Note which classes are available to you, as some are grade level or even magnet restricted. 

For more information, make sure to check out the counselors’ website and scheduling guide. UPS co-op information, non-YPAS major student auditions and a more in-depth timeline are all included on the site.

As always, remember that your counselors are here for you. Don’t hesitate to reach out with questions, concerns or to ask for guidance. Your four year course plan is an individualized process- there’s no right or wrong way to do it! (As long as you fulfill all the mandatory course requirements, that is).

Take time to read through the different available classes and choose something that piques your interest or fits your needs, desires and aspirations. 

In addition to your counselors, teachers also serve as a great resource. You can always ask your teacher for guidance or recommendations if you feel lost on what to take.

For example, you may be unsure of whether or not to take AP Language and Composition next year, worried that the class may be too much for you to handle. In this situation, you have to step back and evaluate. What English classes are you currently taking and how do you feel about the workload? How important is it to you to take this class and how will you benefit from it? Next, you can ask your current English teacher their thoughts. Do they see this class as a good fit for your aspirations and abilities? Are they hesitant for you to take this class so soon? Are there any skills you need to work on before starting this class or that you should consider brushing up on? Now, you have a more solid foundation and perhaps less anxiety about what to choose. Never be afraid to reach out; the worst that could happen is a lackluster response. 

This year’s scheduling process looks a little different since we’ve all been on NTI. However, communication and proper utilization of the resources around you can make this task an easy check on your to-do list.