iseclogotr-1511816677-36.png

ISEC Annual Report 2017

In August 2016, the International Student Environmental Coalition was founded at our opening summer conference sponsored by the US State Department in Cologne, Germany. We brought together 18 young people from 6 countries for 10 days of activist training. Since then, we have exceeded far beyond all of our goals set at the conference. We’ve realized that our mission is something that the students of the world are truly committed to.

• screenshot-1507500775-48.png
  • screenshot-1507500783-38.png
  • screenshot-1507500789-34.png
  • screenshot-1507500797-40.png
  • screenshot-1507500806-45.png
  • screenshot-1511720443-87.png
  • screenshot-1511720504-59.png
  • screenshot-1514735144-96.png

Nigeria

Plant for the Planet

Plant for the Planet is the first ever tree planting competition initiative in West Africa. In Nigeria, people are not taught about climate change unless they study environmental studies at the university level. This initiative brings climate change education to the elementary level and has educated over 6,000 students in climate change mitigation strategies. It gained traction for over 8 million internet users.

Earth Day

They organized a conference that brought over 200 people together for lectures, eco-photography, and eco-diets. This engaged over 200 people in physical and their online activities engaged over 1 million youth. Before this event, Earth Day was not very well known in Nigeria.

World Environment Day

ISEC Nigeria partnered with ECOMSA OAU IFE for World Environment Day Conference that brought together over 500 people for discussion, recycling workshops, and tree planting.

Aqus

ISEC Nigeria partnered with a water filtration startup that provides cheap and effective filters as an alternative to high energy consuming sanitation systems. They are working on a contract with the Nigerian Government.

Pakistan

Climate Action Demand Walk

The Climate Peace Walk demanded the University of Karachi to divest from fossil fuels and coal.

Green Revolution Campaign

Green Revolution brought together leaders from Karachi to propose city-wide solutions for a sustainable future. Outcomes included planting 25,000 trees and creating a city plan for achieving Sustainable Development Goal 13, Climate Action.

Speech Competition

Students from several universities came together to present their views and solutions regarding environmental issues.

Earth Lovers Ribbon Campaign

Earth Lovers Ribbon Campaign: The Earth Lover’s Ribbon Campaign sought to raise awareness about climate change throughout Pakistan. Rather than just having one day dedicated to the Earth, ISEC Pakistan launched this campaign on Earth Day to celebrate the Earth for 365 days.

The Pakistan Team 
The Pakistan Team 

Seminar on Environment Conservation

ISEC Pak and DMC Central organized a seminar on environmental conservation to collect all sectors of Karachi under a single forum to discuss and educate the citizens about the environmental issues faced by the megacity. They proposed different remedial measures and sustainability plans.

Karachi Forum for Climate Change

ISEC Pakistan and other heads of NGOs gathered to develop the Karachi Forum for Climate Change, the city’s first civil society forum for climate change. It expects to continue to transform Karachi into a sustainable city.

Romania

They created a conference focused on the “Future of Agriculture” including new technologies to “send” information about plant-like substances through a “wifi” technology and how to grow gardens in cities.

Uganda

They helped to create the African Conference of Youth on Climate Change and UN Sustainable Development Goals that brought together UN youth delegates who did not previously have the necessary visas to attend international climate negotiations.

Iceland

Environmental Week

During the week of Earth Day, ISEC Iceland worked to organize a week of environmental engagement that involved  850+ students. Each day, all students were given a sustainable meal with explanations on why these foods the derivations of the food along with different sustainable practice curriculum each day.

Petition to Halt Mining

Collaborated with Ungir Umhverfissinnar on a photo petition to stop oil and gas mining in islands in Norway.  There were 18 people in our photographs but hundreds internationally that put pressure on the Norwegian government to cease polluting drilling.

Recycling Campaign

Their campaign got Reykjavik (MR) to start recycling plastic. All pupils and staff in MR will now be able to recycle in school, 950+ people.

Nepal

Nepal has developed curriculum to educate young people about climate change and its direct impacts on the country. They have hosted two programs, the first on student’s role in environmentalism and the second on waste management and waterborne diseases.

Cameroon

ISEC Cameroon educated 350 university students in their “Connecting People with Nature” conference that worked to promote environmental sustainability awareness and community sensitization.

Plant for the Planet

Nigeria’s Plant for the Planet initiative expanded to Cameroon in October. They have already educated over 500 students about climate change and sustainable grassroots solutions.

Ivory Coast

ISEC Ivory Coast has been working on waste management services and campus cleanups in universities.

Germany

Germany hosted a conference to discuss personal consumption in terms of food and strategies to minimize food waste.

Bangladesh

Eco-Tourism Protection

Bangladesh, known for its beauty and culture, has witnessed massive increases in tourism in recent years, which is damaging ecosystems. ISEC Bangladesh travelled to Napityachora Waterfall, one of the top tourist destinations in Bangladesh and began a campaign to minimize waste around the waterfall, organized a cleanup, and involved locals. They plan to launch this into a national campaign for 2018.

Political Working Group

“COP22 Climate Action Now”

This sought to increase awareness about the 22nd Conference of Parties throughout the world while also placing political pressure on UN representatives. This engaged over 500 youth physically and over 1 million people through media.

Nigeria

Romania

Denmark

Switzerland

Iceland

UK

Germany

USA

Food Working Group

Holiday Food Waste Redistribution

The Food Working groups in Germany, Romania, Nigeria, the United States, and Romania spent their holiday season saving food and redistributing it to the ones who needed help the most. They gathered food going to waste and fed over 200 people.

The Food Working groups in Germany, Nigeria, and Romania spent their holiday season saving food and redistributing it to the ones who needed help the most.

Germany

Romania

Nigeria

Clothing Working Group

Thrift Mag

This publication seeks to showcase that thrifted clothing can be fashionable and increase its trendiness throughout Europe.

Clothing Swaps

Mexico, Germany, and Iceland worked to organize an exchange of used clothing to prevent the purchase of new clothing and the perpetuation of the fast fashion industry. 3,000 people participated collectively.

$1005
$2500