We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

OPINION: JCPS list of prohibited purchases will degrade Red/White Week traditions

Ava Blair
Principal, Dr. Michael Newman, talking to the student body during Red/White Week.

Red/White Week is an emblem of Manual pride that is adored by the students. Manual students get to dress up, enjoy hallways decorated with balloons, banners and streamers; and take a break from the stress of school. However, this school tradition could be in danger. 

Annually, Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) releases a new Prohibited Purchase list. This list restricts what JCPS schools can purchase for students’ use or events, with the goal of protecting all JCPS personnel inside JCPS buildings. Presumably, this list has been very effective in maintaining safety. 

The rationale for prohibiting balloons is the possibility of balloons harming individuals with latex allergies.  A latex reaction could cause hives, itching, stuffy or runny nose; however, the student must come into contact with the latex for the reaction to occur. A simple solution to this problem: “Don’t touch the balloons hung on the ceiling.” 

Many suggest the use of mylar instead of latex balloons. However, on a budget, mylar balloons are not a viable solution. When comparing costs, a person could purchase almost three times the number of foil or latex balloons as mylar. Other items now on prohibition are glow necklaces, bouncy houses, color runs, face paint and more, all of which contribute to Manual events throughout the year. 

Dr. Michael Newman, Manual’s principal, worries that Manual may see a loss in school pride because of these changes. 

“It creates a sense of pride because you see so much red and white, but if we are unable to purchase balloons… then we will not see it as we have always seen it so we’re going to lose some of our tradition,” said Dr. Newman. 

Manual can be a tough and harsh academic environment, especially during freshman year when adjustments from middle to high school are the most extreme. Red/White week serves to acknowledge the academic and athletic accomplishments of Manual students and encourages pride in one’s work. Without a break from the grind, freshmen may experience far more severe burnout than before. 

Cooper Rauly (9, MST) found that Red/White Week was a large part of Manual’s community. 

“The school is very together, it feels like a family,” said Rauly. 

Not only would decorations during Red/White week be affected, but the Carnival and other events, such as dances and the Senior Picnic, could face changes.

“Even for homecomings, we decorate with balloons, but obviously the big thing that people are going to see is no balloons,” said Ms. Laura Spiegelhalter, a Manual teacher who is the teacher advisor of Executive Council, which provides decoration and facilitates Red/White week. 

Spiegelhalter continued to explain that the Senior Picnic could no longer allow for blowing bubbles because this too is now prohibited. She said that the Executive Council will “need to get creative” to try and continue to make Red/White Week, and other Manual activities the same as before. 

Instead of losing balloons, face paint, and other staples of Red/White week, the community should look for solutions, such as liability waivers. To accommodate certain students, Newman suggests permission slips or liability waivers. Giving students the opportunity  to opt in or out of events allows the entire student body to enjoy themselves to the fullest. This idea would work very well and allow for students to feel supported. 

Whether or not duPont Manual loses balloons, face paint and bouncy houses, the Crimson Pride will still flow throughout the school. 

“Pride ultimately, is on the inside,” said Dr. Newman.

About the Contributors
Navarre Baharestan
Navarre Baharestan is a staffer on RedEye. He enjoys listening to Pop or Country music and singing. Navarre enjoys to write about social and economic issues and how we can help the community around us. You can contact him at [email protected].
Ava Blair
Ava Blair, Sports Editor
Ava Blair is the sports editor for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys sports photography, watching NFL football, listening to Taylor Swift and playing lacrosse. You can contact her at [email protected].