Categories:

2024 Manual Football breakdown

Manual’s Dequoria Warner (#2, 10) running for a touchdown after a recovered fumble.
Morgan Schmidt

The Manual Crimsons start their campaign for 2024 KHSAA 6A state championship title in the season opener against Central High School on Friday, Aug. 23.

New Head Coach

After being named head coach last December, Keith Eckloff is leading the Crimsons for the 2024-25 season. Previously, Eckloff held the head coaching position at Seneca with a record of 16-31 in the past five seasons.

Last season, Manual held a record of 9-3 under interim head coach, Josh Gillispie, and reached the second round of the playoffs before losing in double overtime to Ballard. Gillispie was also named Class 6A Coach of the Year by KFCA (Kentucky Football Coaches Association). Despite not making it to the championship, Coach Eckloff has some big shoes to fill with the overall success of last year’s season.

Offense

Despite having seven starters back on offense, the Crimsons are yet to name a starting quarterback after the graduation of Eli Creech. Kaden Mack (#6, 10) and Jackson Pritts (#17, 10) are both after the starting job.

Mack and Pritts both bring different perspectives to the starting 11, with different styles of play. Pritts is a pocket passer, while Mack has no fear of coming outside the pocket and rushing a few yards.

The Crimsons also lost running back Zeek Washburn after his graduation, whose spot is now taken over by Gerian Traynor (#34, 11). Traynor was in the starting spot of running back last season after Washburn succumbed to an injury. He finished the season rushing for 1,041 yards and scored 16 touchdowns.

This year, three seniors lead the passing offense: tight end Cameron Jessee (#19, 12) and receivers Willis Nofsinger (#5, 12) and Aiden Blakey (#8, 12). David Pellman (#55, 11) anchors the offense in the center position, who is currently a high-level college recruit. Pellman currently holds offers from Kentucky, Louisville, Ole Miss, Florida and more.

Defense

In the second half of last season, the Crimsons found themselves getting caught with holes throughout their defense. In the last three games of the season, the defense allowed 28+ points. To see success deep in the playoffs, Manual needs to have a strong defensive front for the entirety of the season.

Six starters are returning on the defensive end, including four out of the five top tacklers. As a very senior-heavy defense, the Crimsons return senior linebacker Jaylen Hayes (#44, 12), who totaled 56 solo tackles, senior linebacker Braydon Underwood (#21, 12) who totaled 43 solo tackles, Jessee, who totaled 11 sacks and junior cornerback Dequoria “Corey” Warner (#2 ,11) who totaled 29 solo tackles.

Two other defensive players will also return, including senior linebacker Kaden Baker (#1, 12), with 11 solo tackles, and free safety Blakey, with three interceptions.

Team Captains

This year’s football captains are:
Cameron Jessee (#19, 12)
Dequoria Warner (#2, 12)
Jaylen Hayes (#44, 12)
Kaedin Quirin (#63, 12)

Overall

The Crimsons return with a high level of senior experience, which no doubt will benefit them going into this season. With the loss of consistent starting quarterbacks, the hot topic is ultimately who will end up behind the center. The Crimsons also return a majority of their special teams led by Parker Friedman (#53,12) with a 76.9% conversion rate in the 2023 season.

Schedule

2024 Manual Football Schedule design. (Morgan Schmidt)
About the Contributor
Morgan Schmidt
Morgan Schmidt, Managing Editor
Morgan Schmidt is the Managing Editor for Manual RedEye. She loves sports and pop culture and looks forward to pursuing a sports media career after her time at duPont Manual. She also has outside commitments of playing Lacrosse and is the founder and host of The High School Hour on ESPN 680. You can contact her at [email protected].
$1580
$2500