Categories:

Manual comes back against Central in season opener

The Crimsons' defense lines up against Central on Friday Aug.23.
The Crimsons’ defense lines up against Central on Friday Aug.23.
Safa Saedi

This past Friday night, the Manual Crimsons defeated the Central Yellow Jackets 20-13, after trailing Central 13-3 at the end of the first half. This marks the Crimsons’ fifth time in a row winning the series against Central. The Crimson Crazies designated the game USA-themed. 

First Half

Prior to the start of the first quarter, Manual won the coin toss and chose to defer, giving Central the first possession on the 20-yard line. Manual’s defense came out strong, ending the first play of the game with a sack and resulting in a quick three-and-out for Central after another sack on third down.

On the first offensive drive for the Crimsons’, Gerian Traynor (#34, 11) ran the ball for a few yards, and quarterback, Kaden Mack (#6, 10), made a promising pass to Brayland Miles (#14, 10) for the first first down of the game. On the next play Mack fumbled while being sacked, the Yellow Jackets returned the fumble to the end zone. However, the resulting touchdown by Central was ruled invalid due to a face mask penalty called against the Yellow Jackets. As such, Manual received the ball back.

Unsuccessful on the next set of downs,  the field goal team took the field and Parker Friedman (#53, 12) attempted to make a 45-yard field goal, but was unsuccessful.

Central got the ball back, but Manual’s defense came out strong again, leading to a quick three-and-out. Nofsinger then returned the punt once again for Manual. Later on, the Crimsons gained the first down and advanced downfield quickly after two pass interference penalties were called against Central. With a little under two and a half minutes left in the first quarter, Manual was unable to convert on fourth down during the same possession, resulting in Central getting the ball back. Shortly afterwards, the first quarter ended. 

Almost as soon as the second quarter started, the Yellow Jackets scored the first points of the night, with a 73-yard rushing touchdown. The extra point was good, and Central now led Manual, 7-0. 

Despite regaining possession, Manual struggled offensively from the start with a sack and a false start penalty, leading to a Crimson punt shortly after. Central got the ball back and were quick to gain even more momentum. After a 56-yard pass was thrown for Central, moving the Yellow Jackets deep into Manual territory, they scored again following a 27-yard rushing touchdown. The extra point was unsuccessful, increasing their lead to 13-0.

Undeterred, Cameron Jessee (#19, 12) lit up a spark for the Crimsons with a big catch helping Manual get a first down. Play by play, Manual moved their way down the field into Central’s territory. Their drive resulted in a successful 37-yard field goal made by Friedman. The score was now 13-3, with Central still in the lead.

Central got the ball back, and though they were assisted by a pass interference call by Manual, they could not convert on fourth down in their own territory, allowing Manual to regain possession near the end of the second quarter. With only three seconds left, Manual tried to score a touchdown, but were stopped by Central’s defense, ending the first half. 

Second Half

During the third quarter, both teams struggled offensively and despite being able to make big plays, both teams were held back by penalties. 

The last few minutes of the third quarter is where fans were finally able to see some action. After Manual made its way down to Central territory, Mack came under pressure, scrambling and trying to avoid Central’s defensive line. It was then when he found Nofsinger in the end zone, allowing for Manual to finally score their first touchdown. The extra point was successful, putting Manual on the board, with Central still leading, 13-10.

At the start of the fourth quarter, Central received the ball, but quickly gave Manual back possession after they weren’t able to convert on third down. Despite a penalty against Manual a few plays later, Mack threw a quick pass to Traynor in the following play, allowing him to run straight towards the end zone and score a touchdown for the Crimsons. The extra point was successful, and Manual then took the lead for the first time, 17-13.

Following Manual taking the lead, Central relied on a few rushing plays to help them advance down the field. Two penalties called on Manual’s defense helped them advance further. However, during one play, where Central’s quarterback came under pressure and attempted to throw the ball to a wide receiver, Manual cornerback Leron Brown (#11, 12) tipped the ball up into the air, leading to an interception by Aiden Blakey (#8, 12), who ran it back to Yellow Jacket territory.

Though Traynor’s rush on third down failed a few plays later, Friedman made a 41-yard field goal, increasing Manual’s lead to 20-13, with just two and a half minutes remaining.

During Central’s final drive, they attempted to try and convert on fourth down but were stopped by the Crimsons’ defense. Manual then received the ball, with Mack taking a knee to run down the clock and end the game.

Manual ended up beating Central 20-13, marking their first win of the season and head coach Keith Eckloff’s first win as the Crimsons’ head coach.

The Crimsons’ next game is against Central Hardin at Manual Stadium next Friday night, Aug. 30 at 7:30 p.m.

About the Contributors
Safa Saedi
Safa Saedi, Staffer
Safa Saedi is a staffer for Manual Redeye. She loves interior design, writing short stories, photography, and wants to live in the countryside of Italy in the future. You can contact her at [email protected].
Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Sports Editor

Katie Dikes is the Sports Editor for Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports and enjoys going to Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].

$1305
$2500