Categories:

Girls’ soccer beats North Oldham after a thriller second half

Mai Bajic (#6, 12) attempts to evade North Oldham forwards.
Katie Dikes

This past Monday, the Manual girls varsity soccer team defeated the North Oldham Mustangs, 3-0. After a scoreless first half, the Lady Crimsons came out strongly in the second half, putting down any momentum North Oldham gained. 

First Half

To start the game, the ball traveled back and forth across the field. At 34 minutes, Manual received a corner kick, but was unsuccessful. Both Isabella Acosta (#16, 9) and Laurel Senninger (#11, 11) took shots on goal early in the first half, but both missed. Shortly after, Acosta had another look at the cage, but missed again. 

North Oldham took some shots of their own and were almost successful. However, during one instance, Abby Barker (#8, 12) stopped the ball from going into the goal with a head shot. Goalie Riley Borders (#0, 12) also scooped up the ball to pass back down the field during multiple North Oldham goal attempts. 

Later on, Emma Griffin (#2, 12) came racing down the field with the ball, and had another attempt to score, but was unsuccessful, too. Jasmine Smith (#22, 11) also could score multiple times throughout the first half, too, but the Mustangs’ defense remained resilient.

Senninger (#11, 11) tried to score once again a few minutes before the half ended, but missed. Borders (#0, 12) also had other critical goal saves. 

At the end of the first half, the score was 0-0. 

Second Half 

To start out the second half, the Lady Crimson came out with a different mindset. At 35 minutes, Manual was granted a penalty kick after attacking on the offensive side. Chloe Groemling (#5, 11) made the kick, scoring the Lady Crimsons’ first goal of the night.

“I instantly noticed a difference in the level of intensity once we got the lead. Our motivation increased and encouragement improved. I think we had been getting close to scoring and making smart plays, and I’m glad I was able to finish the shot and give us the lead, ” said Groemling (#5, 11).

Shortly after, North Oldham received a corner kick, but the Lady Crimsons stopped the Mustangs from scoring in one of the most critical defensive plays of the game. Borders (#0, 12) had a couple of other scoop-ups shortly after. Acosta (#16, 9) attempted to score again, as did Janie Mundell (#20, 12). Both were missed. 

After a couple more minutes of play, Lexia Walker (# 23, 12) scored the Lady Crimsons’ second goal of the night assisted by Smith (#22, 11). 

“I felt great when I made the shot since I had just returned from a broken ankle. It restored my confidence I had lost while I was still injured,” said Walker. 

At 11 minutes, Acosta (#16, 9) then scored Manual’s third and final goal of the night, outrunning two Mustang defenders. Borders (#0, 12) tallied a couple more goal saves before the horn signaled game over. 

The Lady Crimsons beat the Mustangs, 3-0. 

“The team’s performance was amazing. I feel that as the season has progressed, we have improved a lot. In the game against North Oldham, the main difference in the two halves was our confidence. Once we got our first goal, even though it was a [penalty kick], we realized we were up and [had] more of a chance [to win] so we kept fighting and eventually got more goals,” said Borders (#30, 12). 

Their next game is against Ballard on Wednesday Aug. 28 at 8 p.m.

Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Sports Editor

Katie Dikes is the Sports Editor for Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports and enjoys going to Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].

$1580
$2500