Manual's SBDM holds first meeting with discussions of beginning of the school year successes and potential policy changes.
Manual’s SBDM holds first meeting with discussions of beginning of the school year successes and potential policy changes.
Dia Cohen

Manual’s School-Based Decision Making council holds August meeting

On Tuesday, Aug. 27, the Manual School-Based Decision Making (SBDM) Council held their August meeting. During the meeting they discussed the arrival and dismissal processes, budget updates for Manual and YPAS, enrollment numbers, policy updates and subcommittees.

Since the beginning of the school year, staff members have worked to improve the arrival and dismissal process. Now, the majority of the morning car rider line clears between 7:22 and 7:25 with most students through Evolv by 7:26. In the afternoon, the majority of cars pull out by 2:25, with all stragglers gone between 2:32-2:33.

“Hard working staff and patient parents contributed to the success, and we just want to make sure we celebrate them,” Principal Dr. Michael Newman said.

The updated arrival procedure includes a new system for temporary IDs and tardies. The new ID system is still a work in progress as the current sticker paper being used cannot effectively adhere to clothing. 

The SBDM council also reviewed budgets for both Manual and YPAS. Both are on track at this point in the year, though spending may be adjusted based on student enrollment. Currently, 1,908 students are enrolled at Manual, but the school is staffed for 1,936 students.

YPAS teachers requested a copier to create a media center for students. The copier would cost $8,500, while the district-approved printer would cost $1,400. 

“Students go to the library to print. They’ll just jam up a copier,” Ms. Laura Spiegelhalter (Family & Consumer Science) said. Others voiced concerns that students do not need all of the functions of a copier and a printer would suffice. The council will revisit the copier for YPAS at the next meeting.

SBDM approved a first reading of an update to adult spending. Adult spending is used to benefit staff members. These benefits include staff-wide t-shirts, candy bars,  Currently, 20% of all donations made to Manual must go into student accounts. The proposed change would allow 100% of money donated for adult spending or donated without a named purpose to go into adult spending accounts.

Additionally, the activity budget allocates $25,000 for Extended School Services (ESS). Later this year, Advanced Program (AP) teachers will review tutoring opportunities for students in AP classes in order to offer as much help as possible.  

Manual’s SBDM will meet again on Sep. 17 from 3-4 p.m. in the first floor conference room. This meeting is open to the public, but those interested in speaking must submit a request to be heard at least three days prior. Upcoming meetings will cover curriculum, family and community, school space, committees, budget, by-laws, clubs and the 10th day enrollment numbers.

About the Contributors
Lydia Morgan
Lydia Morgan, News Editor

Lydia Morgan is the News Editor for Manual RedEye. When she's not reporting on breaking news, she enjoys reading, dancing, and spending time outside. You can contact her at [email protected].

Greyson Lindblom
Greyson Lindblom, Staffer
Greyson Lindblom is a staffer for Manual RedEye. When he isn't writing for RedEye, he likes to go to concerts, read, and watch hockey. You can contact him at [email protected].
Dia Cohen
Dia Cohen, Photo & Design Editor

Dia Cohen is the Photo and Design Editor for Manual RedEye this year. She loves to read, play piano, draw, stargaze and hangout with her friends. In short, she's a real renaissance woman. You can contact her at [email protected].

$1305
$2500