Categories:

Manual beats Central Hardin after slow start and trailing in first half

Kaden Mack (#6, 10) tries rushing past a Central Hardin player.
Mayrin Romero Hernandez

This past Friday, Manual’s football team defeated the Central Hardin Bruins 21-7. The game was designated tropical-themed by the Crimson Crazies. 

First Half

Prior to kickoff, Manual chose to defer, allowing Central Hardin to gain the first possession of the game. Struggling to find an offensive rhythm, the Bruins called their first timeout of the game. Following the timeout, they were unable to convert, resulting in Manual’s first possession, a little over halfway through the first quarter. With help from running back Gerian Traynor (#34,11) the Crimsons’ made their way into Bruins territory. Soon after, however, there was a flag on the play and the Crimsons suffered a 15-yard penalty.

The ball was passed back and forth during the rest of the first quarter, and there were multiple sacks by Manual’s defense. By the end of the first quarter, Manual nor Central Hardin had scored. 

The second quarter began with a penalty on the Crimsons for unnecessary roughness,  allowing the Bruins to score the first touchdown of the game. The extra point was also good, making the score 7-0, with the Bruins in the lead. 

Although Central Hardin had the ball for the majority of the time during the second quarter, the Crimsons didn’t let that stop them and recovered a fumbled ball. Though this key defensive play allowed Manual’s offense an opportunity to score, a flag on the play pushed the Crimsons offense back.

At one point during the second quarter of the game, the Crimsons were really struggling offensively. Traynor (#34, 11) fumbled in the Crimsons’ own territory, and Manual’s running back and wide receivers were repeatedly stopped and tackled by the Bruins’ defense. 

Both teams did not score again during the second quarter. The score remained, 7-0, with Central Hardin in the lead at halftime.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do to get better,” head coach Keith Eckloff said, reflecting on the first half. 

Halftime

Halftime started out with a performance by the national award-winning Manual Dazzlers dance team. Their routine was followed by a performance by the Crimson Sound marching band and the color guard, who performed a rendition of “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire, and Manual’s fight song, “Stand Up And Cheer.” 

Second Half 

The second half began with Manual receiving the ball. However, a couple of plays later, a high snap went over Manual quarterback Kaden Mack’s (#6, 10) head, losing yardage. Following that, the Crimsons threw an incomplete pass, but a penalty on Central Hardin helped gain back some yards. Unfortunately, the Crimsons threw another incomplete pass on third down.

Decided to attempt a field goal, the kicking team and Parker Friedman (#53, 12) took the field. The field goal was no good, however, and Central Hardin regained possession in their own territory. A few plays later, a Central Hardin player made a run for it on third down, but was short, taken down by defensive tackle Jabbary Sloan (#58, 11). The Bruins then punted. 

Willis Nofsinger (#5, 12) had a great run deep into Bruin territory. Jeremy Presley (#28, 10) ran the ball for the Crimsons to start out this possession, gaining a couple yards. Following that play, Presley then scored Manual’s first touchdown of the game. The extra point was good, which brought the score to 7-7. 

Central Hardin regained possession following Manual’s touchdown, but the Crimsons stopped the Bruins from a tackle by Presley (#28, 10). On third down, Central Hardin threw an incomplete pass. The Bruins then called a time out, seemingly attempting to go for it, but decided to punt instead. Nofsinger (#5, 12) caught the ball, allowing for Manual to gain possession. 

Central Hardin’s defense came out strong, hoping to redeem themselves compared to Manual’s last drive. During the next few plays, Ronald “Tre” Marshall (#33, 12) was tackled during a rushing play, and Brayland Miles (#14, 10) was unable to catch a pass. Unable to convert, possession of the ball then returned to Central Hardin. The Bruins threw an incomplete pass, and a big stop by Darien Allen (#32, 11) prevented Central Hardin from moving further down the field. During fourth down, though, an offsides penalty against the Crimsons set up a relatively easy conversion attempt. 

Central Hardin called yet another time out prior to fourth down. During the fourth down play, the Bruins attempted to run, but it was too close of a call. As a result, the ball had to be measured in order to determine possession. The measurement resulted in the Bruins being short of the first down, ultimately giving possession to the Crimsons within Bruin territory. 

While a big stop on fourth down helped Manual gain some momentum, Mack (#6, 10) was taken down by a Bruin sack, resulting in a loss of 6 yards. That did not stop Gerian Traynor (#34, 11), though, from breaking out of the pocket and scoring the team’s second touchdown of the night. The extra point was good, putting Manual in the lead for the first time of the night with a score of 14-7. 

“I made a big mistake in the first half by fumbling, but I just had to come out knowing that I gotta get back, you know, just get back and do my thing and help the offense out,” Traynor said. 

Following that, Central Hardin got the ball back but was unable to convert. Manual then regained possession, but a few plays later, lost the ball in the endzone, resulting in a Bruin touchback. Central Hardin started their drive at their own 20-yard line. The third quarter ended shortly after that with Manual still in the lead, 14-7.

Though Central Hardin prevented Manual from scoring, they were unable to convert, with

the Crimsons regaining possession deep into Bruin territory. While Manual attempted to rush down the field, a number of penalties prevented them from doing so. 

On third down and 15, yet another flag on the play was called against Manual. Despite all the penalties, on fourth down, Traynor (#34, 11) ran for the endzone, and successfully scored a touchdown. The extra point was good, and the Crimsons increased their lead 21-7. 

Though Central Hardin regained possession and was assisted in advancing down the field due to penalties against Manual, Allen (#32, 11) made another key tackle preventing the Bruins from converting. Manual regained the ball, and they were in a good position to score again. But with time ticking down, and a personal foul called against the Crimsons, the game came to an end shortly after. 

Manual ended up beating Central Hardin 21-7.

“I think we did good, I think we did good. First quarter was a little shaky, the first half a little shaky, second half we came in and blew ’em out,” Presley (#28, 10) said, reflecting on the game. 

Manual now improves to 2-0. Their next game is against Frederick Douglass next Friday night, Sept. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

About the Contributors
Mayrin Romero Hernandez
Mayrin Romero Hernandez is a staffer for Manual RedEye. She enjoys baking and scrolling on TikTok. You can contact her at [email protected].
Abigail Coty
Abigail Coty, Staffer
Abigail Coty is a staffer for Manual Redeye. She loves reading, writing and drawing. When she’s not covering a story, you can find her at the pool. She wants to study law, or maybe she doesn’t. You can contact her at [email protected].
$1305
$2500