Categories:

Manual destroys Eastern after epic first half on homecoming

The student section cheers on the football team from the sideline.
Katie Dikes

This past Friday night, the Manual Crimsons beat the Eastern Eagles, 49-3. The game was designated neon-themed by the Crimson Crazies. 

First Half:

Eastern received the ball to start the game and had a great rushing play following the kick-off return. Cash Zuberer (#18, 12) then applied pressure on Eastern’s quarterback, who fumbled the ball in the process. The Eagles, however, recovered it. Following that, Eastern’s quarterback came under pressure again, but was able to throw a short pass to an Eagle receiver, who then ran up to mid-field. Undeterred, Cameron Jessee (#19, 12) rushed Eastern’s quarterback and blocked a pass to bring about fourth down. Eastern ended up kicking a field goal, bringing the score to 3-0, with a little over seven minutes left in the first quarter. 

Manual then received the ball. To start, quarterback Kaden Mack (#6, 10) kept the ball and ran a few yards. Jeremy Presley (#16, 10) then rushed for a few yards. On third down, Mack threw the ball, but it was incomplete. The Crimsons had to punt. Only a few plays later, in Eastern’s own territory, Manual’s defense punched the ball out of the quarterback’s hands, allowing Jaylen Hayes (#44, 12) to pick it up and run it back for the Crimsons’ first touchdown of the night. Parker Friedman (#53, 12) then made the extra point, allowing Manual to take the lead, 7-3. 

Eastern got the ball back, but were forced to punt again after Eastern’s quarterback overthrew the ball twice and after a big tackle by Devin Allen (#27, 11) to force fourth down. Following the punt return, Mack threw a short pass to Willis Nofsinger (#5, 12), who ran it in for a 32-yard touchdown. Friedman made the extra point, and Manual now led the Eagles, 14-3. 

Despite Eastern getting the ball back, they were forced to punt again, following pressure by Jessee to force fourth down. Nofsinger caught the ball during the punt return and ran it back to the endzone for a touchdown, but a penalty against the Crimsons brought the ball back near the 25-yard line. Shortly after, the first quarter ended. 

Only a few plays into the second quarter, Jackson Pritts (#17, 10) threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to Jessee for Manual’s third touchdown of the night. Friedman made the extra point and Manual now led 21-3. 

Eastern gained possession, but the ball was quickly intercepted by Dahmarie Wilson (#13, 10), who ran it back for a touchdown. Manual now led the Eagles 28-3. Shortly after Eastern got the ball back, Braydon Underwood (#21, 12) intercepted the ball after it was tipped mid-air, and ran it in for another touchdown. The extra point was good and Manual increased their lead, 35-3. 

Manual got the ball back relatively quickly after a three-and-out for Eastern. Mack threw a long pass to Jessee, and a short pass to Nofsinger on the next play, who ran it into the endzone for the Crimsons’ sixth touchdown of the night. The extra point by Freidman was successful, and Manual now led the Eagles 42-3. 

Shortly after this, Chaz Stallard (#9, 12) intercepted the ball during an attempted Eastern passing play. He ran it back for Manual’s seventh touchdown of the night. The extra point was good. The Crimsons now led Eastern, 49-3, with less than three minutes left in the first pass. 

Brayland Miles (#14, 10) then picked up the ball following an Eastern fumble but was tackled as time ran down to end the first half. 

“We lost the turnover battle the last couple of weeks and we really focused on that this week and there were a lot of opportunities presented and they cashed in,” said head coach Keith Eckloff. 

Halftime:

Halftime started with a performance by the national award-winning Manual Dazzlers dance team and junior dancers, who participated in their fall clinic. Following that, the homecoming court was announced. Corey Warner from the football team won Prince, while Samiyah Robertson from the Dazzlers won Princess. Cameron Jessee from the football team won King, and Paige Malone from Colorguard won Queen. Following the presentation of the homecoming court, the Crimson Sound Marching Band and Colorguard performed a few renditions. 

Second Half:

Because of the huge difference in the score between Manual and Eastern, a running clock was established for the second half.

Manual received the ball to start the third quarter, and despite having a big return, a penalty was called against the Crimsons and the ball was pushed back to the 25-yard line. A timeout was called by Manual a few plays later, and the Crimsons then punted after a quick three-and-out. Eastern then received the ball, but also had to punt following a three-and-out possession. Manual got the ball back, but punted again shortly after as the third quarter ended. 

To start the fourth quarter, Eastern received the ball. However, Tre Marshall (#33, 12) intercepted the ball and Manual regained possession. The Crimsons punted shortly after, though. Despite Eastern gaining possession, they had to punt once again. The ball was passed back and forth a few more times until eventually, the clock ran out. 

“They played well tonight. It was a game we thought we should win and they came out and really executed in the first half and left no doubt, so we’re happy about that,” Eckloff said. 

The Crimsons’ next game is away against South Warren on Friday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. 

Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Sports Editor

Katie Dikes is the Sports Editor for Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports and enjoys going to Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].

$1305
$2500