Categories:

Girls’ varsity soccer falls to Sacred Heart during regional semi-finals

Jasmine Smith (#22, 11) races after the ball, a Sacred Heart player by her side.
Katie Dikes

On Monday Oct. 15, Manual’s girls’ varsity soccer team lost to the Sacred Heart Valkyries, 3-0, during the semi-finals of the region six tournament. 

First Half:

Sacred Heart received the ball to start the game, starting off strong the Valkyries took control on the offensive end, while Manual’s defense stayed equally strong. After a few back and forth, Janie Mundell (#20, 12) received a free kick. Shortly afterwards, Sacred Heart’s offense attempted to score, but goalie Riley Borders blocked the ball (#0, 12). This was followed by a free kick taken by Mia Bajic (#6, 12).

A few plays later, Sacred Heart came up the field, taking a shot on goal again. The shot went just over the goal, and the Valkyries received a corner kick. Luckily, Manual’s defense prevented Sacred Heart from scoring and Lola Thompson (#7, 11) received a free kick. 

Sacred Heart then had back-to-back corner kicks, but Borders and Manual’s defense stood their ground. Sacred Heart also continued to control the ball and attempted to score multiple times, but Borders blocked their shots or kicked back downfield by the Lady Crimsons’ defense. 

A couple more free kicks and throw-ins took place towards the end of the first half. Sacred heart nearly scored a goal, but it just missed to the right of the goal. Borders also had another crucial save. 

To end the half, Sacred Heart received a corner kick with only a few seconds left. Fortunately, Manual’s defense prevented Sacred Heart’s offense from strategically moving the ball for an open shot. Borders could eventually come out of the goal to retrieve the ball and end the first half. 

At the end of the first half, the score was 0-0. 

Second Half:

To start the second half, Sacred Heart almost immediately scored their first goal of the night–81 seconds to be exact–made by Vanderbilt commit Caitlin Chase (#6, 12). The score was now 1-0, with Sacred Heart in the lead. 

Eight minutes later, Chase scored her second goal of the night, and only four minutes later, Chase scored her third goal of the night, a hat trick. The score was now 3-0, with the Valkyries in the lead. 

Ultimately, Manual was outshot 11-0, primarily staying on the defensive side of the ball instead of the offensive side throughout the entire game. 

Free kicks and goal kicks followed throughout the last 20 minutes of the second half, with Sacred Heart taking their foot off the gas. Though, the Valkyries had a few more corner kicks themselves. 

Time ran out shortly later, with Sacred Heart advancing to the final of the regional tournament and the Lady Crimsons ending their season, with a record of 13-10-1.

About the Contributor
Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Sports Editor

Katie Dikes is the Sports Editor for Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports and enjoys going to Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].

$1580
$2500