The following are opportunities for student volunteers in Louisville for the month of February.
All February – various activities at the Family Emergency Shelter
– All February – flexible hours
– Students are needed to help with meals, organization, etc.
– Location: Family Emergency Shelter 1321 South Preston Street Louisville, KY 40208
– Details: Activities include serving a meal (individual); providing, preparing and serving a meal (group); opening the play room (group of 3-5); organizing and cleaning storage facilities (individual or group). Contact Josh Kornberg, the Community Engagement Coordinator of Volunteers of America Kentucky to volunteer and schedule specific times. Contact him at 502.636.4644 (desk) or 502.303.6993 (cell).
Monday January 7th- May – Provide homework help for Latino elementary school students
– Monday through Thursday from 4:00 to 5:00 PM
– Help improve reading and writing skills of ESL students
– Location: Buechel – United Methodist Church 2817 Hikes Lane, Louisville, KY 40218
– Details: You must commit to attending the program at least one day a week for an entire semester. Offer homework and educational-enrichment to elementary school Latino students. For more information or to sign up visit the United Methodist Church or visit their website.
February 14th – Help Neighborhood Youth Feel Special on Valentines Day
– 5:30 – 7:00 PM
-Help neighborhood youth with special tasks.
– Location: 201 N. 25th Street, Louisville, KY 40212
– Details: Help young girls feel special and pampered (and have a positive place to be on Valentine’s Day)! Volunteers are needed who have special skills, such as hair styling, massage therapy, nail art, make-up and other skills that girls would be interested in. Girls will range in age from 10-17. Ten volunteers are needed. Contact Whitney Bennett at (502) 774-2322 ext.235 for more information or to volunteer.
All February – Special Events Volunteer for KY Refugee Ministries
– Shifts: Flexible, will work with your schedule
– Help plan KRM’s fall/spring events
– Location: 969 B Cherokee Road Louisville, KY 40204
– Details: Must be at least 14 years old. You will assist with sending out invitations, supervising the children’s area and helping children at the arts and crafts table at the Highlands festival, setting up events, working ticket booths, and selling baked goods. For more information or to volunteer go to http://kyrm.org/get-involved/volunteer/.
Every Monday night in February (2-4, 2-11, 2-18, 2-25) – River City Love Squad
– 7 PM – 9 PM every Monday night
– Serve meals to homeless people
– Location: Lord’s Chapel at 2735 S. 4th St. Louisville, KY 40292
– To volunteer or for more information contact Pastor Joe McGrew at (502)-533-7257 or go to http://rclsm.org. The mission of the River City Love Squad is to feed, clothe, and shelter the homeless and needy.