Kentucky Kingdom set to reopen as Bluegrass Boardwalk

Many students were disappointed to hear that Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom was closing in 2009. However, the amusement park has new hope thanks to the Koch family, which will be reopening the park in May 2013.

With 2013 being graduation year for many juniors and the first year of college for seniors, many aren’t so sure how much time they will be actually spending at the new theme park. “I used to go there every weekend during the summer I probably won’t go as much as I used to because I’ll be a senior and focusing more on getting ready for college that summer,” said Lisa Pham. (11)

Although many upperclassmen share Pham’s view, some underclassmen had different thoughts. Most students want to go back to Six Flags just as much as they did before, and others are looking at the reopening as a job opportunity. “I think it will be a really fun summer job,” said Jan Rogers (10).

The Kochs also own Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari. The new owners plan to reopen the park as Bluegrass Boardwalk and will offer unlimited free soft drinks, free sunscreen and free use of inner tubes.