Soap Box: a Shocking Occurrence

Blogger Shelby Dixon on the Soap Box.

It has been a source of national criticism and debating. During a May 3 game between the Philadelphia Phillies and St. Louis Cardinals, seventeen year-old Phillies fan, Steve Consalvi, ran on to the field during the eighth inning. After briefly eluding stadium security, a Philadelphia police officer pulled out his taser and gave the fool a nice little shock, sending him to the ground and ending his little escapade.

Now, I understand that some people may respond negatively to being tased, and that some people have even died from the voltage pumped into their body, but I have absolutely no problem with this police officer using his taser. Talk show hosts have bantered back and forth all week claiming that this was an excessive use of force and borderline police brutality. The only thing I have to say to them is, shut it.

This is a seventeen-year-old kid. He knows what is right and wrong, what is acceptable and what is not. He knew he should not have been on that field. This was not a child who is unaware of what is socially acceptable, nor was he drunk or under the influence of drugs (which is still not an excuse for making a public embarrassment of yourself). Rather, he was a senior in high school, preparing to head to Penn State. Consalvi even called his father prior to running onto the field, asking for permission, and stating that it was “a once in a lifetime opportunity.” And his father said no because he did not think it was a good idea. Yet, Consalvi ignored that notion and took a little parade around the outfield of Citizens Bank Park. He reaped what he sowed.

Now, I do not think Consalvi intended on hurting any of the players on the field. However, it does call into question the possibility of what could happen. Fans can be a little crazed, hateful, out of control, and you never know what somebody with a little too much $7 beer in their system is capable of doing. <<< This is a bit confusing b/c u just sad that Consalvi wasn’t drunk, then u make a relation to behavior and a $7 drink. I think that should be taken out. Otherwise, clarified. -Naiyana Williams 5/11/10 1:20 PM What if he had wanted to stab a player or cause some sort of physical harm to these multimillion-dollar employees who are supposed to be entertaining us and winning world championships for their organizations? That is not a chance I am willing to take.

If that means he gets tased for stepping onto the field so be it. Because how upset would all of the nation be if the $125 million man, Ryan Howard, had ended up with a serious injury because a fan did something stupid? I have no sympathy for this kid whatsoever. It states on the back of all sporting event tickets that fans have access to public access areas and nothing extra. It states that if a fan enters the playing field without permission, they will be prosecuted to the extent of the law, usually a criminal trespassing charge. Here is my solution to this issue: on the back of tickets, in programs, on signs, through announcements made through the public address announcer, let fans know they will be tased. Give them a fair warning. Plaster the stadium with reminders and warnings that if a fan so chooses as to step onto the field, they will get tased. Plant the seed and let them know what will happen to them if they decide to make the ignorant decision of interrupting the game.

Because really, there is absolutely no reason to leave the stands or concourses and jump onto the field. If someone is stupid enough to make that decision let them get what they deserve, a nice little jolt.