New security procedures implemented in wake of shooting

Mr. Kingsley is implementing new security procedures for Manual during school hours.

Teachers need to limit the number of students outside of class, and when they are, they need to make sure they have a signed pass. Students shouldn’t be allowed to leave rooms within five minutes of the tardy or dismissal bells.

“Mr. Rigdon and Mr. Farmer counted 20 students out of class on the second and third floors and this was shortly after the 7:40 bell rang,” Mr. Kingsley said in an email on December 17th to the teachers.

During school hours, exit three (the northeast entrance near the guidance office) will be locked except for class changes and in the morning. Mr. Burton or Mr. Rigdon will be at the door during class changes. Exit 22 (the annex door at the wheelchair ramp) will be locked at all times for now on. Students must ring the bell to be buzzed in during office hours (7 A.M to 4 P.M). Students should not open the doors for others for any reason.

Exits seventeen (the courtyard door next to the staircase and the senior cafeteria) and nineteen (the courtyard door closest to the auditorium) will be unlocked only from 7:10 to 7:40 A.M when staff members are supervising it but will be locked all other time. Exit eighteen (the courtyard door across from the custodians office) will only be unlocked in the morning and during lunch hours when staff will be supervising.

The new procedures are being implemented in wake of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and Sandy Hook Elementary. 26 people were killed, including 20 children.