RedEyed Reader: Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors

“O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?”

This is probably the most famous line of Shakespeare’s tragedy, Romeo and Juliet. Old fashioned, old English, old clothes, old pick up lines…young people literature.

Freshman year, the first six weeks are spent attempting to interpret this age-old play. Different people think different thoughts. Especially when it comes to Romeo and Juliet. The tragic end to such a short life. Many people want the ending to change no matter how many times they read or watch the play, but the story is written out. Romeo and Juliet are fated. To die.

Mimi Wallingford is the young actress and co-owner of the Wallingford Theatre. All Mimi wants is to go to college and maybe become a doctor, yet her mother can’t seem to see that. Mimi has been performing since she was just a little girl, so when a mysterious form of stage-fright takes over, everyone questions her potential for life. Everyone including the tall, dark, and handsome Troy Summers who plays Romeo in the Wallingford production of Romeo and Juliet.

When the two haters get thrown into a mess of false reality and upside down, dreamworld phenomenon, they realize that life doesn’t have to be a script. Giving life a script might not even be possible. Well, you can give it a script, but you should expect it to be torn to pieces and scattered in a million unplanned places. Mimi and Troy have only each other to rely on in a world that is only too real. I’m talking deadly real.

Selfors puts a twist on Shakespeare in the fast-paced novel about writing out your own life. Saving Juliet is full of love, friendship, sword fighting, parental control, music, and psychopathic momsters (yes MOMsters).

I deem Saving Juliet worth your while. Selfors ties together the magical qualities of theatre, writing, and the everyday, average, teenage drama.

Sometimes the best actors are the ones that can write their own scripts, especially when its either write or die. Not a fair choice, I know, but who ever said life is fair?