Manual students excited for beginning of Derby festivities

This Saturday on April 20th, the Kentucky Derby Festival kicks off with the annual Thunder Over Louisville Fireworks and Air Show. The event, the largest fireworks show in North America, attracts thousands of spectators to the Waterfront each year and marks the beginning of the Derby Festival in Louisville.

This year, several Manual students plan to attend the show and participate in the festivities. “I’m really excited for Thunder,” said Cameron Hubbard (10). “I like everything. The planes, the food and of course the fireworks. Last year I went with friends and had a great time, and I hope I have the same experience this year.”

However, due to the recent federal sequester cuts, the Kentucky Derby Festival announced that military planes and pilots would not be participating in the air show. However private pilots and planes will be in use for the event. Despite this, enormous crowds are still expected to turn out for the event, rain or shine. “I really don’t care about the planes,” said Hubbard. “I just go to hang out with friends. Either way it will be a fun time.”

Many other students will attend other Kentucky Derby Festival events, such as the Balloon Glow, Marathon and Mini-Marathon, or Great Steamboat Race. All of the events during the Derby Festival lead up to the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby, on Saturday, May 4th.