Photo credit to Joel Bradshaw
Photo credit to Joel Bradshaw

Centre College on brief lockdown after Danville shooting

Students at Centre wait on updates while watching the news and staying indoors. Photo by Millie Horn.

UPDATE: Centre College is no longer on lockdown after Danville shooting. Confirmed by Toni Konz of the Courier Journal.

Today in Danville, KY there was a double homicide near Centre College. Centre is now on lockdown and all classes have temporarily stopped.

Manual graduate Millie Horn said, ” Well right now it’s kind of chaotic because we didn’t know what was happening until campus police told us to get in the building. Then we got a text that said there had been a double murder a fourth of a mile right off campus.”

Another Manual graduate, Nick Do, was asleep when the shooting took place. “[O]ur Department of Public Safety has a great campus-wide notification system so I got a phone call and a text at 10:15 from them saying what had happened (at the time only two deaths were known) and that campus was on lockdown.”

The suspected pawn shop robbery in Danville has claimed 3 total casualties as of now.

The Advocate-Messenger reports authorities are looking for a”white male, about 20 [years-old], with a scruffy beard, black hoodie and riding a bicycle.”

Earlier the school released this statement, “Due to a double homicide in Danville reported by local law enforcement, Centre College is on lockdown and classes are cancelled until further notice. We have alerted our campus community through our emergency alert system and are providing updates through this means and social media  We have encouraged everyone to get to a secure building and stay where they are with doors closed. More information will be provided as available.”