Special Guests and journalists line the red carpet at the Humanitarian Awards

Manual students volunteer as the Ali Center honors Humanitarian Award winners

Guests and journalists wait on the red carpet before the main program
Guests and journalists alike wait on the red carpet before the main program.

The Muhammad Ali Center honored the Humanitarian Award recipients at the Galt House on Thursday night. Former president Jimmy Carter and singers Christina Aguilera and Michael Bolton were among the recipients. Manual students Claire Gothard (11, HSU) and Tiye Gardner (11, J&C) volunteered with the Muhammad Ali council of students.

“I work with the register and arrival groups. I greeted people when they came in and showed them to registration,” said Gardner.

The event included a formal sit-down dinner with speakers awarding the recipients. Muhammad Ali, 72 and suffering from Parkinson’s disease, made a rare public appearance at the gala but did not speak for the duration of the event.

“It’s a really good cause to be involved with and it’s super exciting to see all these people,” said Gothard.

Mayor Greg Fischer, jockey Pat Day and the Louisville Girls’ Basketball Team were among the attendees. Additionally, six teenagers and young adults received the Humanitarian award for living out the six core principles: confidence, conviction, dedication, giving, respect and spirituality, emphasized by Ali.