No Pants protest creates controversy

No Pants protest creates controversy

If you haven’t been on Twitter recently, you probably haven’t heard of the No Pants Movement. The account @mhspants was devised by students Lauren Fiscus (12) and Caroline Folz (12) to protest Manual’s new dress code policy involving form fitting clothing, including the controversial yoga pants.

The movement was planned for Friday, Oct. 18 and students were told to wear long t-shirts that covered past the required length and to not wear pants underneath. They tweeted jokes and instructions for the scheduled protest.

The account gained popularity quickly, gaining over a hundred followers in less than a week.

But late Wednesday the account sent this tweet explaining that the demonstration was cancelled after Principal Jerry Mayes warned that students that arrived at school in inappropriate clothing would be sent home, according to Assistant Principal Matt Kingsley.

Mayes contacted Folz and Fiscus through a phone conversation with a third party source so that they could remain anonymous.

“Our intention was not to test the patience of the administration, nor was it to break rules, but simply to point out the ridiculousness of the legging and yoga pants rule,” said Folz in a tweet to the account’s followers. “The fact that he noticed the complaints is a good start. The next step is to show him that Manual students are responsible and respectable enough to change the dress code.”

The move to ban the protest was made on Wednesday night by Mayes.

Earlier that day, Assistant Principal Darryl Farmer said that he had not planned to punish anyone that protested, but that Mayes could make the final ruling.

“As long they’re in dress code, that’s fine with me,” said Farmer. “They can’t disrupt the educational process, and they could be shut down from there, but if they’re in dress code and that’s what they want to wear, then they’ll wear it.”

Farmer later added that the current policy was in place because the clothing was designed for exercise and was unnecessary for school.

The current Manual Dress Code Policy, which can be found on page 10 of your agenda, bans all form-fitting clothing, and clothing that is revealing in nature.

The account tweeted a photo explaining Mr.Mayes’ stance on the protest.. “Mr. Mayes said made it clear that anyone participating in the protest would be punished,” said Mr. Kingsley. “People may be sent home.”