KYA postponed due to weather

KYA postponed due to weather

The Kentucky Youth Assembly conference, scheduled to happen from the 8th to the 10th, was cancelled due to hazardous weather conditions.

The annual conference, organized by Kentucky’s YMCA, is a mock assembly of Kentucky’s state government system, run almost entirely by students. Attendees can choose from a wide array of jobs, ranging from bill writing to running for office. All of the students also take a day trip to the state capitol building to proceed over other students bills. Aside from business, students also participate in dances and games, mingling with students from all around Kentucky.

After a winter storm cancelled school in most of Kentucky on the Friday before the conference, YMCA officials ordered a cancellation due to icy roads and the forecast of another storm. “I was really disappointed,” said Jenna Farineau(12, VA), Manual’s Y-club president. “I was very frustrated, but I understood why it got cancelled because schools from across the state would have never made it to Louisville.”

Despite the cancellation of KYA in December, the YMCA  has postponed the conference to February. “I’m glad KYA got postponed, but it’s still hard for the whole club because there’s no satisfaction from working so hard for December, and then having it pushed back 2 months the day before,” Farineau said. “It’s also very strenuous that KYA is now less than a month away from our other conference, KUNA (Kentucky United Nations Assembly).”