Manual holds first Black Student Union meeting

Jahne Brown (10, J&C) leads an activity with beads to demonstrate who students interact with most often. Photo by Margo Morton

The Black Student Union (BSU), a new club this year, held its first meeting on Monday, Feb. 17 in the J&C annex.

In the meeting, officers Jahne Brown (10, J&C), Josh Jean-Marie (10, J&C), Breya Jones (10, J&C), Avalon Gupta-Verwiebe (10,J&C) and Reagan Roy (10, J&C) introduced the club’s mission and led a discussion about the races of people that students interact with most and admire.

Louisville Metro Councilwoman Attica Scott spoke on changes students can make in the community and ways that students can address the racial issues in school. Scott encouraged students to contact their councilperson and address issues in their community.

According to a statement from the BSU, the club is “open to all students of all races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, genders, disability status, or GPA” and aims to create community and equality while drawing attention to racial issues at Manual through possible events like meetings, volunteer opportunities, and poetry slams.

“Our biggest goal is to not only provide positive role models for younger students of color but also to surround ourselves with role models, positive black culture, and a safe space to talk about the issues that come with being under-represented,” said BSU founder Jahne Brown (10, J&C). “Anyone who agrees with the message, no matter what race, can join.”

Councilwoman Attica Scott presents ways students can make a difference. Photo by James Miller.