Ms. Megan Gatewood, photo by Margo Morton

Meet Ms. Gatewood

Manual has a new science teacher, Ms. Megan Gatewood (Science). Hired to replace Mr. Murphy, who left following the first semester to take a principal position in Lawrenceburg, Ky., she was born and raised in Louisville. Gatewood attended Centre College for her Bachelor Degree in Science and is currently earning her Master Degree in Education at the University of Louisville. Before arriving at Manual, she taught at the Louisville Classical Academy, a small private school.

It has been a change for Gatewood coming to one of the largest high schools in the area. “[The biggest adjustment to Manual] has been having many more students,” Gatewood said. “But everyone has been really welcoming, and I like getting to know all 150 of my students.”

Ms. Gatewood teaches Freshmen Integrated Science for the MST magnet. To her, the most important aspect of her job is getting her students enthusiastic about the subject of science. “I want them to be prepared for the next three years of science education,” she said. “I want them to have a love for the process of science, that even if their experiments fail or are incorrect, they still understand the scientific process.”

Ms. Gatewood’s room is 228 and she can be reached at [email protected].