Manual student hosts first open mic event at Iroquois library

Emilee McCubbins (11, HSU) hosted the first open mic event at Louisville Free Public Library’s Iroquois branch on Wednesday, Sept. 24 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.

According to McCubbins, she organized the event in order for local writers to share their talents.

“I live in an area where there aren’t a lot of opportunities for creative writing,” McCubbins said. “I knew there were a bunch of tortured poets in my area who needed a place to portray themselves the way they wanted to.”

Several students shared pieces with their fellow attendees.

“Sometimes I write things for the sole purpose of wanting other people to hear it,” Stephanie Little (10, J&C) said, who read multiple pieces of creative writing.

While most individuals attended and read their writing, others decided to give presentations and tell jokes.

“At one point, I ended up giving a Spanish lesson, and at another point, I talked about Hobbes On Common-wealth,” said McCubbins, in reference to a part of English philosopher Thomas Hobbe’s mid-17th Century book Leviathan.

Once the event was over, the majority of those who attended had shared their writing.

“This was a great opportunity for students to share their ideas, be creative, and express themselves,” Savannah Simpson (11, YPAS) said.

McCubbins plans to hold future open mic events every fourth Wednesday.