Graham Jolly swims neck-and-neck with St. Francis swimmer Clayton Smedley. Smedley beat Jolly by a single second with a time of 33.04 seconds. Photo by Kate Hatter.

Girls’ and boys’ swim teams compete in Brown Sprint meet

Graham Jolly (10) swims neck-in-neck with St. Francis swimmer Clayton Smedley. Smedley beat Jolly by a single second with a time of 33.04 seconds. Photo by Kate Hatter

Boys’ and girls’ swimming competed in the ninth-annual Brown Sprint Meet today against 17 other high school teams. The boys’ team finished in third place and the girls’ team finished in sixth.

In the girls’ 200-yard medley relay, the Manual girls A team relay placed ninth, earning one point for the team. The A relay included Riley Head (11) swimming backstroke, Sophia Korner (10) swimming breaststroke, Rebecca Guan (12) swimming butterfly and Jordan Grantz (9) swimming freestyle. The girls’ B team medley relay placed fifteenth.

In event two, the boys’ 200 yard medley relay, Manual boys’ A relay placed eighth, earning 22 points for the Manual boys’ team. The A relay included Ciaran Brown (12) swimming breaststroke, Luke McKinley (9) swimming butterfly and Lucas Neuteufel (10) swimming freestyle.

The B medley relay with Josh Svoboda (12) swimming backstroke, Luke Wislocki (11) swimming breaststroke, Fernando Abril (10) swimming butterfly and Joshua Dye (10)  placed eleventh, earning 12 points for Manual’s boys’ team.

Trinity High School dominated the boys’ team in points. The gap between first place Trinity and Manual was larger than double the Manual boys’ total points.

Both the girls’ and boys’ teams also participated in the 100-yard corkscrew relay, a unique tradition to the Brown Sprint meet.

About 30 of Manual’s swimmers participated in this meet.

“All of [the swimmers] have really improved,” Coach Allison Greenwell said. “We’ve had a few that came in and have never really swam before, but swim all four strokes now.”

Regionals will be at the Ralph R. Wright Natatorium on Thursday, Feb. 12. The boys will compete from 9 a.m. to noon. The girls will compete from 4:30 p.m. to 6:50 p.m.