PTSA seeks nominations for 2015-2016 board

The PTSA is currently seeking nominations from parents, students and teachers for 2015-2016 board members.

“The first step of the process is to see which of the current 2014-2015 Executive Board and committee members would like to return to their same position or move to a different position,” Nominating Committee Chair Trish Kline said. “Once that is done, I work with my committee members to identify potential candidates to fill the remaining slots.”

The Nominating Committee, which also includes parents Barbara Benjamin Coffield and Jennifer Tuvlin, screens all internally and externally recommended candidates and selects the one whom they believe will best fulfill the role in question.

Kline will present the proposed slate of officers at the spring PTSA meeting on March 18 and will conduct a voice vote asking for additional nominations from the floor. According to Kline, few candidates are ever recommended on-site.

The PTSA Executive Board and officers will then be sworn in, though they will not assume official duties until July 1. The Nominating Committee will continue the process to fill any positions that have not yet been taken.

This year, the PTSA hopes to add a fourth Vice President to the Executive Board.

“Communication is just such an important piece of the PTSA,” Kline said. “It is an integral enough position that we wanted to make it its own entity and take some of the burden off of [PTSA President] Ms. Jackson.”

The current open positions are First Vice President, Newsletter Editor, Advocacy Chair, Project Graduation Co-Chair, Membership Co-Chair, VA Parent Liaison, HSU Parent Liaison, Budget Chair and Social Media Co-Chair. A full description of each of the positions is listed on the PTSA website.

Those who would like to nominate a parent, student or teacher to any board position should contact Kline at [email protected]. The PTSA also accepts self-nominations.