Rachel Porter (10, J&C), Jennifer Snelling (10, J&C), Michael Zirnheld (10, HSU), Sylvia Goodman (10, J&C), and Mikayla Hinton (!0, J&C) gather for the first Design With a Purpose meeting. Photo by Olivia Dawson.

Manual students form club to assist nonprofits

From left: Rachel Porter (10, J&C), Robert Spencer (10, J&C), Jennifer Snelling (!0, J&C), Michael Zirnheld (10, HSU), Sylvia Goodman (!0, J&C), and Mikayla Hinton (!0, J&C) gather for Design With A Purpose's first meeting.
From left: Rachel Porter (10, J&C), Robert Spencer (10, J&C), Jennifer Snelling (10, J&C), Michael Zirnheld (10, HSU), Sylvia Goodman (10, J&C) and Mikayla Hinton (10, J&C) gather for Design With A Purpose’s first meeting.

J&C sophomores Sylvia Goodman, Madeline Wainright and Mikayla Hinton recently formed Design With a Purpose, a club that brings together writers, photographers, designers, and programmers to create social media content for nonprofit organizations.

“Design With A Purpose is a club that allows students to put their design and creative skills to good use,” Wainright said.

Experience with programs such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator is encouraged, but not necessary. According to Wainright, many of the club’s members are proficient with graphic design software, and will be able to help the others familiarize themselves with the programs.

Additionally, students of all magnets and grades are welcome to participate.

“Anyone can join the club,” Hinton said. “We don’t have requirements, as long as people are interested in writing, designing, photography, marketing or programming.”

The club leaders have already begun the process of contacting non-profits that may benefit from the group’s services.

“I have already reached out to a few organizations,” Goodman said. “It’s not official yet, but I’m interested in working with Educational Justice, a program that helps low-performing schools teach ACT study skills.”

Students will be able to count club work for service hours with honor societies such as Beta Club. The organization will be sponsored by Ms. Elizabeth Palmer (Journalism).

“The work from the club won’t be too demanding,” Goodman said. “But members need to be respectful of deadlines.”

Goodman came up with the idea for Design With a Purpose when she realized that she wanted an extracurricular to compete with those of other J&C students.

“We’re helping that nonprofit make a difference because if they don’t have a strong online presence, then they don’t have a presence in the teenage mind, which is one the most important places to hit,” Goodman said.

The club’s informational meeting was held on Friday, Aug. 28 in the school courtyard. They plan to meet on Fridays in the J&C lab from 2:30 to 4 p.m.

If you are aware of a nonprofit in need of assistance with media, please contact Sylvia Goodman at [email protected].