Students participate in India Day celebration

Students Minoru Chou (12, MST) and Quynh Nguyen (12, HSU) participate in a community yoga demonstration onstage at the Belvedere. Photo by Amanda Tu

Many Manual students participated in the annual India Day festival held at the Belvedere on Saturday, Sept. 26.

The India Community Foundation of Louisville sponsored the event, which featured food, clothing and craft vendors. Live cultural performances also took place.

Megh Kumar (12, MST) danced in the festival. Her group of four performers prepared for the event for three months, practicing once a week.

India Day is an important cultural event for Kumar, as she has danced for 11 years.

“The atmosphere was fantastic,” she said. “We had a huge turnout this year. Everyone was lively, and it looked like everyone was having a good time.”

Abey Philip (10, MST) volunteered for the school’s Beta Club and Science Olympiad team by selling refreshments.

“The experience is always fun at India Day,” he said. “The atmosphere was electric with all the music, food and dancing.”

Other Manual students, such as Neha Sandella (11, HSU), attended India Day to see their friends and participate in the festivities.

“My favorite part was watching my friends perform and eating the food,” Sandella said.