Things To Do: May 13-15

Things To Do: May 13-15

Emblem3 with the Ready Set
May 14 at 8 p.m.
$25
Mercury Ballroom
611 S 4th St., Louisville, Ky. 40202

Emblem3 is a boy band originating from season 2 of the X Factor. They were an overnight success, similar to One Direction. They are a self-described reggae/pop band. Emblem3 released their first album in 2013, spawning their hit song “Chloe.” The opening act, The Ready Set, is a pop punk singer known for his 2009 Top 40 hit “Love Like Woe.” Both acts are definitely bringing energy to the stage for a fun time. Fans of artists like Cody Simpson and Austin Mahone would enjoy the concert.

Weekend at The Flea Off Market
May 13-15. Times vary.
Free admission
The Flea Off Market
1007 E. Jefferson St., Louisville, Ky. 40202

This event, or series of events, has something for everyone. The core of the event is a flea market with over 200 artists, sellers, start-ups and more. It will be easy to find the perfect antique focal point for any room. That’s not all. Yoga classes will take place on Saturday and Sunday for those who want to chill out. An LGBTQIA-youth-friendly dance will happen at 7p.m. on Saturday. There will also be food trucks and live music acts throughout all days. So grab some friends and take in all that The Flea Off Market has to offer.

One Blue Wall Open Mic Night
May 13 at 6p.m.
$5
duPont Manual High School Senior Cafeteria
120 W. Lee St., Louisville, Ky. 40208

Support Manual’s literary/art magazine One Blue Wall by attending this Open Mic Night. Hear writers and speakers perform, or perform yourself. The admission price includes Raising Cane’s chicken and Heine Brothers Coffee. Their spring magazine “Evo” will be available for preorder for $5. This event is great for all fans of all kinds of literature.

Readers and Writers Louisville 2016
May 14 at 10a.m.
$15 General Admission, $50 VIP
Kentucky International Convention Center
221 Fourth St., Louisville, Ky. 40202

Take the chance to meet over 40 famous authors of the romance and young adult genres, even including a few who were best-selling authors on Amazon. For a complete list of authors in attendance, look here. This event is a perfect opportunity for anyone who loves to read.

Stick Men featuring Tony Levin, Pat Matelotto and Markus Reuter
May 13 at 8 p.m.
$18
Headliners Music Hall
1386 Lexington Road, Louisville, Ky. 40206

Categorized as a progressive rock band, Stick Men fuses the talents of three established rockers for an unparalleled sound. The band consists of Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and Markus Reuter. Levin is a bassist who has worked with Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel. Mastelotto is a former drummer of XTC and the Rembrandts. Reuter is primarily a guitarist, but is fluent in many instruments and has played with centrozoon and Europa String Choir. Stick Men is known for improvisational jam sessions onstage, so be prepared for a long and instrumental-heavy concert.

Throo the Zoo 5k
May 14 at 8 a.m.
$40 through May 12, $45 May 13-14
Louisville Zoo
1100 Trevilian Way, Louisville, Ky. 40213 United States

Spring is a great time of year to work on fitness, and a 5k is the perfect way to do that. This is a walk/run 5k, so being an expertly trained runner isn’t required. Also, running is a lot more fun when the zoo is the environment. Get creative for a chance to win the animal costume contest. A t-shirt, free zoo admission for the day and free refreshments are included with registration.