Male Bulldogs slash Rams on senior night

The Manual boys’ lacrosse team suffered a 6-7 loss against the Male Bulldogs on their senior night, May 3.

In the first half, Manual fought hard for possession, locking down on Male’s #2 pushing him to the midfield and putting their best defender on him, scoring three goals.

Neal Riddle (12, #44), long-stick midfielder and defender, had an assist in the game.

“We came with intensity and played hard, a lot of the freshman stepped up. They usually play a little scared but they came to play tonight,” Riddle said.

Goals by Samuel Bissmeyer, Nick Geary and Will Lake allowed for Manual to advance in the first and second half. But as Manual’s defense struggled in the second half, Male was able to gain possession and push through to score goals.

Will Lake (12, #21), attacker, said he felt like the team had been preparing for this game.

“Male runs a 3-3 zone, so yesterday we spent all day practicing an offense that can beat their defense,” Lake said. “I feel like we did a good job making people work for their shot.”

The teams are now preparing for tournament games.

“We’ve got districts and we’re playing Ballard again and we took them to overtime last time but lost at Ballard. This time it’s here and if we win we go to state,” Lake said.

Jackson Ramsey (12, #11), attacker and midfielder for Male, said he was proud of his team.

“For sure proud of this win right here because we dug deep,” Ramsey said. “I feel like I played well but there were some goals that [Manual’s] goalie saved.”

Siever Utsey (10, #28), attacker for Male, scored four goals during the game and said his team had been preparing for this game.

“We didn’t want to look too far in our schedule, but once it came around we were on it with full speed and this game meant a lot to us and we had two seniors here tonight and we got them the dub,” Utsey said. “I think we played really well, we pushed to the end and kept the foot on the gas.”

Seniors from both teams looked back on their Senior Night and season.

“It’s sad and went by super fast but we’re slowly getting better,” Ramsey said.

“Josh Doelling our goalie, he had some awesome saves tonight and probably our last three games here, we either won or lost by one goal so we’ve just been playing some really tight games,” Lake said.

The Boys’ Lacrosse team is preparing for their next game against Ballard on May 8.