YPAS students perform in “Zombies Invade the Thrillway” at Kentucky State Fair

Fog drifted through the air inside a dark tent on the Thrillway of the Kentucky State Fair Saturday night as fairgoers milled around it, exploring carnival rides and rows of funnel cake vendors. The tent was mostly deserted, but suddenly, around 9:00 P.M., loud music began blaring. As bystanders looked on in surprise, a horde of dancers dressed as zombies suddenly leaped into a clearing, shuffling and stomping their feet as the sound of My Morning Jacket’s “Highly Suspicious” filled the air.

A group of YPAS students performed along with several other high school students that evening in a flash mob titled “Zombies Invade the Thrillway,” choreographed by Ms. Kim Herndon (YPAS), which took place by the Young Adult Project (YAP) tent at the fair. The event was created to accompany the release and signing of David Martin Stack’s book “The Pretty Dead,” in which several high school students must avoid a rapidly-spreading zombie virus. Prior to the event, the approximately twenty dancers attended two practice sessions to learn the choreography, on August 9 and 17.

“I was worried we would look crazy and weird since there were not a whole lot of us doing it and we were supposed to be spread far apart from each other,” said Abigail Fromme (9). “During the performance I was thinking, “well everyone else doing it will look the same as I do, so as long as I put my heart into it, I’ll be fine,” she said.

About a hundred dancers had been expected to fill positions, but only about twenty signed on. “I think if there were more people added to the group we would not all have fit into the tent, so I think we had a perfect number,” Fromme said.

Prior to the flash mob, several other zombie-related games and activities took place in the YAP tent to accompany the book release.

“Before the show, I was just hoping that we would all remember the steps to the dance because it had been two weeks since the last group rehersal,” said Tabitha Boes (12). “I think the performance went well and I’m glad to have done it. I give props to the fellow dancers I met along the way,” she said.

“The Pretty Dead” is available here for around $12.

Photo By Seth Fischer