This Week in Manual Academics: Dec. 11-16

Finals

Mid-terms, also known as first semester finals, will begin on Wednesday, Dec. 13. The schedule for Wednesday and Thursday will be 2-1-4-3. There will be no finals on Friday due to the basketball homecoming and they will resume next week.

Crimson Hour 

Manual will host another trial run of Crimson Hour on Monday, Dec. 11. Crimson Hour gives students the opportunity to meet with teachers, catch up on homework or prepare for upcoming tests and finals.

Congressional App Challenge Winner

The Congressional App Challenge “promotes STEM education by inspiring and highlighting our nation’s young coding talent.” Shreeya Arora (9, MST) won for Kentucky’s third district by creating an app and a website that allows emergency managers to immediately contact first responders. She created a video explaining the problem and her solution.

“Having the first responders pre-verified on the app will save time in natural disasters because the verification has already been done,” Arora said in the video.

STEMY HALO Grant 

STEMY Academy, a local non-profit founded by Manual students, applied for a Nickelodeon HALO Grant in an attempt help unprivileged middle school students. You can vote for them to win the grant by Dec. 13.

YPAS Band Concert 

YPAS’ symphonic band and wind ensemble will hold a concert on Tuesday, Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. on the main stage.

Mr. Essig leads the 2013 band members as they perform a jazz piece.

One Blue Wall Submissions

One Blue Wall is taking submissions for their publication “The Blue Book.” They are accepting submissions until Dec. 31 at midnight. Submissions can be sent to their staff email. 

VA Senior Show

The second VA senior show, Parhelia, opened this past Thursday, Dec. 7. It features the artwork of several seniors in the Norman E. Brown Gallery. The show runs until Jan. 3.

Fill out the form located here to be featured on This Week in Manual Academics.

Reece Gunther, Editor-in-Chief
Reece Gunther was a co-Editor-in-Chief of Manual RedEye for the 2019-20 staff. He enjoys spreading kindness, helping the less fortunate and promoting laughter. You can often find him listening to podcasts or exploring the world around him, from parks to volunteer opportunities. You can contact him at [email protected]