College seminar for seniors helps prepare students for next step

Thursday night from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m., Ms. Christy Teague hosted a college prep seminar for Manual seniors and their parents in Manual’s auditorium, where she discussed procedures and tips for applying to college.

Around a hundred students and parents attended the seminar, which was guided by a PowerPoint on such topics as how to use the “Red Folder” students are given to organize their applications, application criteria, the importance of ACT and SAT scores, application deadlines, the Common Application, early decision and early action, and financial aid.

“I’m a firm believer in being aware,” Teague said before discussing subjects such as the importance of raw data like GPA and test scores, how to get the best letters of recommendation, and how to make an application look cleanest.

In addition, attendees of the session were given handouts with information on ACT test dates and definitions of “college” terms, as well as scholarship tips, and were asked to fill out a feedback survey after the seminar.

“It was clarifying,” said Karen Powell (12). “The whole process in itself when they told us about it before, with the red folder and everything, was surprising. I was completely confused. This was so helpful, and it’s easier to do than talk to a counselor,” she said.

“She leaves more calm, whereas I leave thinking, oh my gosh, deadlines,” said KJ Powell, Karen Powell’s mother. “It’s good for [the students] because they have a parent here, although I wish they still held [the session] in the summer,” she said.

The PowerPoint from the session can be downloaded here from a link titled “Senior PowerPoint 2011-2012.” The webpage also includes links to other college-related documents.

Another seminar, mandatory for seniors, on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be held December 1 at 7:00 p.m. in the Manual auditorium.