Things to do: Memorial Day

Things to do: Memorial Day

As Memorial Day is approaching, many students are looking forward to a three-day weekend before the last week of school. If you are looking for ways to spend quality time with your family and friends, here is a list of ideas to get you started:

2018 Flags4Vets Memorial Day Vigil

For those who are interested in attending a Memorial Day celebration, there will be a local vigil held on May 28 to commemorate 15,000 of America’s fallen soldiers. This ceremonious occasion, which will be located on the North Great Lawn at Waterfront Park, will begin with volunteers forming the letters ‘USA’ with 15,000 flags and end with a Memorial Day observance that will be led by Louisville’s mayor, Greg Fischer.

Mayor’s Subway Fresh Fit Hike, Bike and Paddle

This Memorial Day event is held by the Louisville Metro to promote physical fitness among the local community. Located on Waterfront Park, the Subway Fresh Fit Hike, Bike and Paddle will allow thousands of participants to stay fit and healthy with their friends and families by engaging in fun fitness activities, such as bike rides, yoga, tai chi, pickle ball, wall climbing, paddleboarding, and more. More details are located on their webpage.

Bikers participated in the Subway Fresh Fit Hike, Bike & Paddle in 2016. Photo courtesy of Flickr.
Attendants participated in the Subway Fresh Fit Hike, Bike & Paddle in 2016. Photo courtesy of Flickr.

Belle of Louisville Lock Lunch/Sightseeing Cruise

The Belle of Louisville will have a special opportunity for Louisville residents to spend their Memorial Day afternoon sightseeing along the Ohio River. During the cruise, which will last from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., participants will also have access to a lunch buffet. For more information about the buffet menu and reservations, check out their website.

The Belle of Louisville celebrated its 100th anniversary on the Ohio River in 2014. Photo courtesy of Flickr.

Shining a Light Photography Exhibit

The Muhammad Ali Center will be holding a photography exhibition called Experiences of Refugee Women throughout the rest of May. The photographs in the exhibition features a diverse array of women across ten ethnic groups. This showcase is intended to bring awareness to the social justice issues that refugee women face by highlighting their experiences with gender-based violence, education, sexual and reproductive health, and other topics. More information can be found here.

The Muhammad Ali Center hosts several exhibits and galleries for its visitors every year. Photo courtesy of Flickr.

Featured image citation: “Memorial Day Hike, Bike, & Paddle” by Louisville Images is licensed under Creative Commons License 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Copyright license can be seen here