Louisville provides opportunities to give back

As the school year continues, students are getting back into the rhythm of things. While there is plenty to do in terms of homework and projects, don’t forget that there are many ways that you can get involved in your community and help to change lives. The best way to give back is by volunteering. Below are some opportunities that are Louisville specific:

• Anyone above the age of 13 can volunteer at Kentucky Refugee Ministries to help welcome refugees into their home. Anyone who is at least 16 years old can work with refugee clients directly.
  • Anyone can volunteer at one of St. Vincent de Paul’s many conferences. SVDP volunteers, referred to as “Vincentians,” offer compassionate, nonjudgmental support to all, as well as emergency financial assistance to help with things like rent, utility bills and groceries
  • Anyone who is at least 16 years old can volunteer at the Humane Society. Volunteers are asked to donate two hours of their time every two weeks, for a consecutive six-month period to remain an active volunteer. Volunteers are asked to ensure the happiness and health of sheltered animals.
  • Anyone can volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. Volunteers will help shape a child’s future for the better by empowering them to achieve.
  • Brightside can always use dedicated and reliable volunteers. They rely on a volunteer base to help accomplish their mission of becoming a truly clean, green,and sustainable community.
  • The Coalition for the Homeless needs compassionate citizens to help run their agencies everyday.
  • Dare to Care relies on more than 3,000 caring volunteers to help fulfill their mission. Their work would not be possible without the generosity of individuals and groups. Help end the fight for hunger.
  • The Louisville Zoo welcomes volunteers in many areas, including animal care, administration, education, membership and special events. There is a youth program created especially for young volunteers from 13-18 years old.

“Louisville Skyline 2” by Pen Waggener on Flickr is licensed under CC BY 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of the photo does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article. For the full license, click here.