The annual St. James Art fair happened over fall break. Photo courtesy of Zayne Isom (11, VA)

What did the Rams do over fall break?

This past weekend, JCPS gave students a five-day break. Manual students took advantage of the long weekend and accomplished a lot of things from visiting colleges to painting pumpkins for Halloween. Here’s some of the interesting things that students did over break.

College Visits

Juniors and seniors took the opportunity to visit some colleges they may be interested in over their break.

Scarlett Hawpe (11, YPAS) visited Hanover College over fall break. Photo courtesy of August King.

Scarlett Hawpe (11, YPAS) toured Hanover College and Earlham College.

“It was really fun and interesting to see all of the different possibilities for college,” Hawpe said. “It’s important to see them to narrow down your choices. There are so many colleges to choose from!”

Katherine Farnan (11, MST) visited the University of Alabama over fall break. Photo courtesy of Katherine Farnan.

Katherine Farnan (11, MST) visited the university of Alabama.

“I really could picture myself going there and getting involved with lots of the various activities they have to offer like Greek life, their great business school, and if given the opportunity to possibly even run for the school,” Farnan said.

Jenna Putt (11, J+C) visited the University of Kentucky over the five day break. Photo courtesy of Jenna Putt

Jenna Putt (11, J+C) visited the University of Kentucky.  “Kentucky was really cool. I liked it a lot more than I originally thought I would,” Putt said. “Everything is gorgeous and updated. I could definitely see myself going to school there.”

Travel

Some Manual students used the time off to travel all over the country.

Veritie Howard (11, VA) visited Maine with her family over fall break. Photo courtesy of Veritie Howard.

Veritie Howard (11, VA) traveled to Maine with her family

“I actually drove up to Maine with my family for fall break to look at potential houses to move into, and we also visited Portland and toured the coast,” Howard said. 

Rebecca Graves visited Roan Mountain, Tennessee over fall break. Photo courtesy of Rebecca Graves.

Rebecca Graves (11, HSU) went to Roan Mountain Tennessee

“It has the beauty of the Smokey Mountains without all the people,” Graves said. “I have been there many times, and I consider it a second home.”

Patrick Harper (11, J+C) visited New York city this fall break. Photo courtesy of Patrick Harper.

Patrick Harper (11, J+C) visited New York City.

“Over this fall break, I went to New York City! It was crazy being somewhere that truly did not sleep. I’m used to living in Louisville where everything’s closed before 10 (except the Waffle House of course),” Harper said. “I got to see ‘Dear Evan Hansen,’ a play that really spoke with me.”

St. James Art Fair

A few students also visited the annual St. James Art Fair near Manual.

John Bingaman (11, YPAS) liked the art fair despite the heat.

“I went to St. James on Saturday and it was really nice,” Bingaman said. “It was hot, but it was nice to see so much art and how people come to Louisville. It definitely opened up my perspective to how many layers Louisville has and how cool we are!”

Zayne Isom attended the Art fair over fall break. Photo courtesy of Zayne Isom.

Zayne Isom (11, VA) always goes to the art fair and uses the art she sees there as inspiration. 

“I love going to St. James each year because the atmosphere is so unique and you get to see such a variety of work,” Isom said. “I am always so inspired by the things I see. I take so many pictures as I am walking around so that I can use them when I make my own pieces.”

Halloween preparation

Manual students also used the break to prepare for Halloween.

Sophia Bryant (9, MST) painted pumpkins with her friends over fall break. Photo courtesy of Leah Greenberg (9, HSU)

Sophia Bryant (9, MST) got ready for Halloween by painting pumpkins with some friends. They painted Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc.

Some Manual students visited pumpkin patches over the break to prepare for Halloween. “Pumpkin Patch 100_9296” by Kam Abbott on Flickr is licensed under CC BY 2.0 Generic. No changes were made to the original image. Use of this image does not indicate photographer endorsement of this article. For the image, click here.

Catherine Allgeier (12, HSU) picked pumpkins with her family and boyfriend at Huber’s farm.

“We went to Huber’s, and it’s a family tradition, and we go every year,” Allgeier said, “I got to take my boyfriend, and it was his first time going, and we had a lot of fun.”

Adrienne Sato, Sports Editor
Adrienne Sato was the sports editor on Manual RedEye 2019-20. She plays soccer for Manual and likes to read. She is left-handed (and left-footed), and her favorite day of the week is Thursday. You can contact her at [email protected] .