Manual students to be inducted into National Honor Society

This post was submitted to Manual RedEye by Amy Irwin (10, J&C).

Eighty-eight duPont Manual High School juniors and seniors gathered in Manual’s auditorium to be inducted into the National Honor Society (NHS) on Thursday, Sept. 20 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

NHS is a nation-wide organization made up of 11 and 12 grade students who have a dedication to community service, exemplary character and show leadership in their school.

At 6 p.m., the ceremony started with Manual principal, Mr. Darryl Farmer, delivering a short speech praising the hard work and dedication of new members of NHS.

“The most important factor in a student’s success begins with you, parents,” Farmer said.

Mark Raj (12, MST), the NHS president, explained the purpose of the organization and emphasized that “our well-rounded leaders” play into the mission of the NHS.

The four NHS officers performed the ceremonial lighting of the candles that represented which sector of the club they lead: scholarship, leadership, character and service.

Photo courtesy of Manual Photojournalism.

As each new inductees’ name was called, they walked on stage to sign the national charter and shook hands with Mr. Farmer and the NHS sponsors, Ms. Becky Slagle (English) and Ms. Margaret Mattingly (English).

Raj led the inductees’ recital of the NHS pledge to end the ceremony.

“I was very excited to be running the ceremony,” Raj said. “I remember being an inductee myself, seeing all the lights and the candles and everything.”

The application process for NHS includes maintaining a 3.7 GPA, completing at least 12 hours of volunteer service, providing three teacher recommendations, participation in at least two extracurricular activities, keeping a clean school behavioral record and doing a 15 hour service project for a nonprofit organization before junior year.

Sarayu Alli (11, MST) and Kavya Koneru (11, MST), feel it’s all worth it to be part of NHS.

“It’s not just for college applications; NHS itself is a really prestigious club, so being able to do it is an absolute privilege,” Alli said.

According to Oli Tierney (11, VA), the suspense of knowing if she got in or not was nerve wracking.

“It feels really good to finally be [part of the organization]. Waiting to find out if I got in was really stressful. But it made me really proud of the work I’ve been doing,” she said.

Nina Render (12, MST) played piano throughout the ceremony and for the recessional.

After the ceremony, parents and students met in the senior cafeteria for the reception to take pictures and eat cake.

It was there Oli Tierney’s father, Patrick Tierney, expressed his joy for his daughter’s success.

“I’m very happy for her. I know she’s very passionate about the project she’s worked on, she’s really earned all this,” he said.

Featured image courtesy of Manual Photojournalism.

About the Contributor