YPAS performs Our Town

YPAS performs “Our Town”

This post was submitted to Manual RedEye by Isabella Rainsford (10, J&C).

The Youth Performing Arts School (YPAS) Theatre Department performed the play “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder for their fall Main Stage production.

All student made, “Our Town” was performed by YPAS theatre students of all grades, and set design and costuming was made directly from YPAS Design and Production students.

The production of this play lasted around roughly two hours counting breaks in between acts where viewers could “take a smoking break.”

“Our Town” is a play centered around a small american town called Grover’s Corners in the early 1900s.

There were three parts of this play where YPAS Theatre students portrayed Daily Life, Love and Marriage and Death and Eternity.

The overall message that the cast wanted viewers to go home with was to not take life for granted, and realize how much people mean to you.

“There’s a certain part of us that never dies no matter what, and we kind of all realized that in a way we’re all connected, whether religious beliefs or however you want to take that,” Will Herrensmith (11, YPAS) said. “Especially in this play the relationships and interactions between the people really highlight just how well the characters know each other and how they are connected, like how as a cast we’ve gotten to know each other.”

Starting on the second day of school, the cast for “Our Town” has been rehearsing up until the first day they performed on Sept. 19.

“For bigger parts, it can take literally until tech week to memorize, cause it’s so much, you have to know word for word, and you have to really focus,” Brooklyn Durs (10, YPAS) said.

Every freshman theatre major reads “Our Town” when they come to Manual their first year, and this cast wanted to share with other people the same thing they felt after reading the play for the first time and discussing it.

Featured image by Faith Lindsey (10, J&C).

About the Contributor