2019 Forecastle Festival lineup sends students into a frenzy

Each summer for the past 17 years, Louisvillians have flocked to Waterfront Park to listen to their favorite musical artists during the annual Forecastle Festival. Today, the 2019 lineup was released on social media.

“Although it’s not the best lineup that I’ve ever seen, I think that they did a good job of making sure that there is a lot of really good big artists that appeal to a lot of different types of people,” Zach Edwards (12, MST) said. “I personally am really excited for it.”

Despite this year’s lineup being vastly different when compared to previous years, Manual students are embracing all aspects of the festival.

“I can’t wait to see the sunset behind Mast Stage during some of the concerts,” Trevor Harry (12, HSU) said.

The music festival will begin this year on Friday July 12 and will run through the weekend until Sunday July 14. While music is one of the main attractions, attendees love the food, art and social aspects.

“You can meet lots of new people,” Noah Grebe (10, J&C) said. “It’s really easy to start a conversation if you find someone who has the same music taste as you.”

This year, Manual students hope that the festival organizers will “add more water stations,” Harry said, and continue to pay attention to other small details that make the event unique.

“I think they do a great job of setting up the stages and having elaborate designs,” Grebe said. “It goes unnoticed sometimes [but I hope they continue to make them].”

Friday artists

The Midnight is a synth-wave band who originated in Los Angeles in 2012. The band consists of New York based singer-songwriter Tyler Lyle and Los Angeles based producer, songwriter and singer Tim McEwan. They have three EPs released with popular songs such as “Lost Boy,” “Jason” and “Sunset.”

Chromeo is a Canadian electro-funk duo formed in 2002 by members Dave Macklovitch and Patrick Gemayel. Their sound is a mixture of dance music, synth-pop, and electro-funk. They have released eight studio albums since their formation with popular songs such as “Jealous (I ain’t it),” “Must’ve Been” and “Fancy Footwork.”

The Band Camino is an indie-alternative band that originated in Memphis, Tennessee. They released their first EP “My Thoughts on You” in 2016 and have released three other EPs since with popular songs such as “Less than I do”, “My Thoughts on You” and “2/14.” Their music style derives from other alternative bands such as “The 1975” and one of Forecastle’s headline band, “The Killers.”

Saturday artists

Bblasian is a 17-year-old rapper that was discovered in Louisville when he put his first song “Change” on Soundcloud just for fun. However, the song got thousands of streams and he now works closely with Louisville music producer Jon Woo. Some of his popular songs include “Change,” “Sleepless” and “Green Bubble.”

Maggie Rogers is an American singer-songwriter who rose to fame when a recording of her song “Alaska” was played to music producer and singer Pharrell Williams during a master class at New York University. She grew up in Maryland and her exposure to folk and soul music inspired her folk pop sound. She has released one studio album that includes hits such as “Alaska,” “Light On” and “Fallingwater.”

Calpurnia is a Canadian indie rock band that was formed in Vancouver. The band consists of drummer Malcolm Craig, guitarist and vocalist Ayla Tesler-Mabe, bassist Jack Anderson and guitarist and vocalist Finn Wolfhard, who stars on the Netflix show Stranger Things. The band formed in 2017 and has released one EP with songs such as “Greyhound,” “City Boy” and “Blame.”

Sunday artists

Denzel Curry is an American rapper from Carol City, Florida. He began rapping in the sixth grade but starting working on his first mixtape in 2011. Since then, he has released three studio albums and two EPS, his most popular songs being “CLOUT COBAIN I CLOUT CO131N,” “Ultimate” and “This Life.” He is currently opening for singer Billie Ellish on her 2019 world tour.

Yungblud is an English alternative rock singer from Doncaster, United Kingdom. His reason for music was to express himself as a “socially conscious artist unafraid of delivering genre-bending protest songs.” Following this statement, he wrote the song “I Love You Will You Marry Me” about the true story about a couple who fell in love, but the woman was found dead, and the man was homeless. He has released one studio album and one EP, his most popular songs being “Falling Skies,” “Medication” and “Loner.”

First Aid Kit is a Swedish folk duo that consists of sisters Clara and Johanna Soderberg. The group became internationally successful when their Youtube cover of “Tiger Mountain Peasant Song” by Fleet Fox went viral. Since their formation in 2007, they have released four albums and four EPs with popular songs such as “My Silver Lining,” “Emmylou” and “Fireworks.”

Forecastle 2012 – Day 3” by Garden State Hiker on Flickr is licensed under CC BY 2.0. No changes have been made to the original image. Use of the image does not indicate photographer endorsement of the article.