OPINION: Manual students should eat breakfast

There is no doubt that Manual students are a busy bunch. In general, teens need more sleep on average than adults. Often, however, Manual students get much less sleep than they need. Early mornings can be difficult. It’s hard to get dressed, packed and ready to leave on time, much less have enough time to eat breakfast. Although eating breakfast may seem a time-consuming luxury to many rushed students, it is absolutely essential for success.

Why is breakfast important?

The way you start your day sets the tone for the rest of the day. Your body responds differently throughout the day depending on what you put in it immediately after waking up. For example, according to a study published in The Journal of Physiology, when you fail to eat in the morning, your body goes into fasting mode which means that excess calories are stored rather than burned throughout the day. On the other hand, starting the day with food tells your body that you have enough calories, so the body knows to function as usual and burn excess. Through the day, your metabolism is better. According to the study, slow metabolism caused from failing to eat breakfast may increase your risk of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Additionally, numerous studies have upheld the fact that eating breakfast helps students focus and retain information throughout the day. Eating in the morning gives students an energy  boost which can help them focus on class. The fuel from the food helps the brain function quickly, which can also increase short term memory.

Furthermore, some nutritionists claim that eating breakfast can reduce your urge to eat unhealthy foods later in the day. They say that eating healthy foods in the morning releases dopamine which is responsible for impulse control. This, in effect, could help you eat more healthy foods later in the day which could help you become a healthier person.

Finally, a lot of nutritionists argue that breakfast is just another opportunity to feed your body healthy food. A lot of breakfast foods have fantastic health advantages. Skipping breakfast means skipping another chance to give your body nourishment. Of course, in order for this argument to make sense, you have to eat a good, healthy breakfast. But what makes up a healthy breakfast?

What makes a good breakfast?

There has been much debate over the true benefits of breakfast. A lot of dietitians argue that the benefits of breakfast are over-exaggerated. Some people even argue that eating in the morning could cause weight gain. These people make some good points, but the important thing to remember is that a healthy breakfast will never hurt. A sugary or unhealthy breakfast may not give you all of the benefits mentioned above, but a balanced breakfast including all of the correct ingredients will always help. So what should you eat for breakfast?

When you’re rushed in the morning, and don’t feel like you have enough time to make any kind of breakfast, you definitely won’t have enough time to make a five-star, restaurant-quality breakfast. This is understandable, but there are plenty of quick and healthy options for breakfast. Breakfasts should include lean proteins, like eggs or a fruits, which will give you energy and have a nutrient called lutein which can help your skin. Additionally, dietitians agree that some carbohydrates, but not too many, are essential in a breakfast. Like any meal, a mix of different kinds of nutrients is important. A breakfast that is too heavy in carbohydrates can actually slow you down later in the day, and too much sugar in any meal can cause sugar spikes and crashes. Below are some simple breakfasts that will help you achieve the breakfast benefits.

Granola has tons of fiber and yogurt provides the necessary amount of protein for a healthy breakfast. It is also a quick easy choice that tastes fantastic.

Photo by Adrienne Sato

Peanut butter is packed with nutrients. It has protein, fiber and potassium which are all beneficial in a breakfast. The banana also contains potassium and protein. This breakfast only takes a few minutes to prepare and is also easy to eat on the road.

Photo by Adrienne Sato

Oats are very healthy. They contain protein, fiber and carbohydrates to energize you throughout the day. The fruit gives protein and also improves the taste of the oats. This meal can be made in only a few minutes and is also pretty tasty.

“17:365” by eren {sea+prairie} on Flickr is licensed under CC BY 2.0. No changes were made to the original image. Use of the image does not indicate photographer endorsement of the article. For the full license, click here.

Eggs are arguably the best breakfast food. They contain protein and tons of other nutrients that help keep you full and energized throughout the day. They can be prepared in a variety of different ways, although it takes some time to do so. They can be prepared ahead of time, however, and warmed up when convenient.

Photo by Adrienne Sato

Adrienne Sato
Adrienne Sato, Sports Editor
Adrienne Sato was the sports editor on Manual RedEye 2019-20. She plays soccer for Manual and likes to read. She is left-handed (and left-footed), and her favorite day of the week is Thursday. You can contact her at [email protected] .