Meet the new health and physical education teachers

Manual welcomed two new health and gym teachers this fall, Josh Gillespie and David Robinson. Learn a little more about them and their plans for Manual this year!

Teacher video final from duPont Manual on Vimeo.

Transcript:

Robinson: My name is David Robinson. I am the new assistant athletic director and new P.E. teacher here at duPont Manual.

Gillespie: I’m name is Josh Gillespie. I am a new health/P.E. teacher here at Manual High School  

Q: Where did you go to college?

Robinson: I went to Kentucky State and Murray State and just recently got my masters last year at Western Kentucky.

Gillespie: I went to Cumberland College for two years then transferred and finished at Western Kentucky.

Q: What made you come to Manual?

Robinson: I wanted the change but also coming from a middle school I wanted to accept a new challenge. 

Gillespie: I graduated from here, I graduated from Manual in the 90s and always wanted to come back.  I went into elementary teaching for the last 15 years and didn’t really think I was going to come back but an opportunity arose and here I am. 

Q: What are you most excited for?

Robinson: I am most excited about the weight room and athletics.

Gillespie: Just really returning to where I went to school. I have a lot of love for Manual, some of my best times were here. I still have some best friends that went here, I played football here, I am coaching football here. I just love being back. 

Q: What are you most nervous about?

Robinson: I’ve been teaching for five years so I don’t think I’m nervous but more excited if anything.

Gillespie: Adjusting. I’ve been an elementary school teacher for 15 years so adjusting to the difference in the students but also the schedule, I’m not used to getting up early. 

Q: Why did you choose Health and P.E. as a career?

Robinson: Well, I actually practice health and P.E. with body building and personal training myself.

Gillespie: I’ve just always been physically active and involved in my health. When I was in college it was my mom’s recommendation. She recommended me being a teacher and a coach and I thought it made sense because it suits my lifestyle. 

Q: What do you want to accomplish this school year?

Robinson: The main thing I want to accomplish is pushing the athletics in order to get kids college prepared to play sports.

Gillespie: Survive. Just to become more content knowledgeable for this age kids because I am used to teaching down here but now I have to teach at a different level so to become more content knowledgeable for this age of kids. 

Q: What does a typical weekend look like for you? 

Robinson: I don’t know, probably work out or go buy some new shoes or something. I don’t know.

Gillespie: Right now it’s a lot of responsibilities. Aside from school stuff my brother and I are renovating my mom and dad’s home, so there’s a lot of that. I inherited my mom’s dog so now I’m taking care of that. A lot of spending time with my family, my brother, my sister, my niece.

Q: What are you most passionate about?

Robinson: Fitness.

Gillespie: Aside from family, because that’s what drives everything, I’m competitive. I love to be competitive in anything and I’ve been competitive since the time I got out of school so if there is competition, I’m all for it.

Q: What is something you want your students to know about you?

Robinson: That I am here for my students for anything, I don’t mind helping anybody out.

Gillespie: That I am a person, I’m human. Don’t look up to me and fear the fact that I’m a teacher. Talk to me on a normal basis like you would do anyone else. Be yourself around me. 

Q: What is your favorite animal? 

Gillespie My favorite animal would probably be a dog because I have a few of them but if we’re going to go a little bit out of the norm I’ve always liked squirrels. When I was younger I loved koala bears, those are a little more obscure.

Robinson A dog.