Manual’s clubs begin meeting

Patrick Harper (12, J&C) rolls out streamers along the junior class’s hallway.

The 2019-2020 school year has begun, and with it, so have many of Manual’s after school activities.

Here is a highlight of some of Manual’s clubs including when and where they meet, what they’re about and who’s involved.

Best Buddies

Students sit and talk at a Best Buddies meeting on April 17 2019. Photo by Raegan Reisert

Best Buddies meets on Wednesdays in the senior cafeteria. Best Buddies aims to create inter-abled friendships in Manual’s student body. “Each meeting we got to eat good food with amazing people and meet lots of new friends,” Hien Pham (11, HSU) said. Merritt Robinson and Lori Strohmayer are the sponsors.

Applications are necessary and you can find one here.

Book Club

A Book Club poster hangs in a hallway. Photo by Norah Wulkopf

Book Club’s first meeting in on Sept. 13. The club meets in room 228. “We mostly just eat food and talk to each other,” Claire Rooney (11, J+C) said. Rooney likes the sense of community Book Club provides. “Also, Ms. Rich’s Rice Krispie treats are amazing,” Rooney said. Alexis Rich and Amy Ritchie are the sponsors.

Debate

Emma Fridy (12, MST) speaks to a fellow congressman from Manual during a recess. Photo by Riyah Shah.

Debate meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The debate team practices techniques and prepares arguments for competitions. Members of the debate team are politically informed and learn to look at issues from all angles. “I’ve learned so much from debate, and I don’t think I’d be the same person without it,” Demos Negash (11, MST) said. Erica Cooper is the sponsor.

Environmental Club

Isabella Yao (11, HSU) puts a way to be sustainable on a poster at Environmental Club’s local food fair. Photo by Mandala Gupta VerWiebe

Environmental club meets on Mondays in Michael Starling’s room. The club discusses environmental issues, picks up trash around campus, picks up recycling on Wednesdays, and works to make Manual more environmentally friendly. “ Other clubs may preach a message, then petition a representative or spread the word, but Environmental Club mobilizes its members to do what it believes in: cleaning up our world,” Sterling Chancy (12, MST) said. Starling is the sponsor.

Executive Council (EC)

EC meets on Wednesdays in Laura Spiegelhalter’s room. EC organizes school dances and decorates for Red/White week. “I love being in EC because you get to meet a lot of new people and be really involved with the school community,” Pham said. Spiegelhalter and Tyler Morris are the sponsors.

Key Club

Key Club meets on Thursdays in the senior cafeteria. It is a club focused on bettering the community through service. “I chose it out of all the other volunteering clubs because they provide a lot of club sponsored service opportunities, and the officers are super nice and helpful,” Eden Gallup (11, HSU) said. Erin Moss is the sponsor.

Y-Club

Y-Club meets on Thursdays in the freshman cafeteria. Y-Club is a service club that goes to the YMCA’s Kentucky Youth Assembly (KYA) and Kentucky United Nations Assembly (KUNA) conferences. “I really love politics and service but the thing that sends it over the roof for me is the environment of the club,” Negash said. Christina Causey and Bill Jackson are the sponsors.

Featured image taken by Norah Wulkopf