Louisville Free Public Libraries open back up for in-person access

The Northeast Louisville Free Public Library has a robust collection of books for a variety of interests and age groups. Photo by Isabella Bonilla

Isabella Bonilla

All Louisville Free Public Library (LFPL) locations are now open for in-person use and accessibility, and are operating at a 60% maximum capacity. Visitors are required to wear a mask, be mindful of social distancing and are currently limited to a 90 minute visit per day. Curbside pickup is still available, but there’s no longer a need to make an appointment for computer utilization.

When visitors arrive, they get their temperature taken and must sign in, stating what time they arrived and a good phone number to reach them at. They then are able to walk through, hang out and browse the library, using the self checkout kiosk to limit in-person contact with staff. 

Currently, all study and meeting rooms are still closed. Furniture has been rearranged in order to accommodate social distancing, frequent sanitation methods are being administered and staff have access to personal protective equipment (such as plastic that separates patrons from librarians at their desks). 

All library locations have free wifi and computer access, with computers on a first come first serve basis. Printing is also available, although at a small fee. 

Students can utilize the various textbooks or quieter seating arrangements for optimal study time. Free (and reliable) Wi-Fi and plentiful outlets ensure that students are able to bring their personal devices if desired. 

Aside from a change in study atmosphere, students may also find solace in the plethora of books surrounding them. The Louisville Free Public Library system has an abundance of not only books and magazines, but of audiobooks, music CDs and movies as well. Some locations even offer the daily local paper for patrons to read while visiting. Going to the library can serve as a wholesome, relaxing breakaway from the monotony of daily student life. 

In order to access many library resources, students first must have a library card. These are completely free to any student attending a JCPS high school and/or a student who is a qualifying resident of Louisville Metro. Learn how to get one here.  

Students may also want to note that you gain access to other online resources such as Kanopy, a streaming video service free for library card holders and the LFPL’s online catalogue which they may access through the app Libby. Libby contains a variety of books, audiobooks, magazines and comics for Louisvillians to access. 

Branch locations and hours can be found here