Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Girls’ volleyball defeats Male in first round of regional tournament

Ava Blair
Aubrey Montgomery (#16, 11) hitting the ball.

On Monday night, the girls’ varsity volleyball team defeated Male in three sets in the first round of the Region 7 tournament.

Set 1:

The game got off to a slow start in the first set, both teams staying within two points of each other. The game stayed close until the Crimsons were finally able to get a run and keep gaining traction. They kept this lead and won the first set 25-19.

Set 2:

The Bulldogs came into the second set with a lot of momentum. This momentum led them to gain a large lead against the Crimsons of nearly 10. The Crimsons, however, were able to come back strong, stop the Bulldogs’ run and win the second set with a score of 25-22.

“We found a way to really fight through some unforced errors that are really uncharacteristic of us but in the third set we played really good clean ball and built some momentum,” Head Coach Richard Weaver said. 

Set 3:

The Crimsons came into the third set with the energy from their comeback after the last set. The Crimsons were able to hold off the Bulldogs and ended the game with a score of 25-8.

“It felt really good, I feel like it was a good way to start off the Red/White Week,” Riley Osbourne (#4, 11) said about winning against Male.

The Crimsons play again tomorrow night at Atherton versus Sacred Heart at 5:30 p.m. for the regional semi-final game.

Ava Blair
Ava Blair, Sports Editor
Ava Blair is the sports editor for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys sports photography, watching NFL football, listening to Taylor Swift and playing lacrosse. You can contact her at [email protected].