Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Five horror films for Gen Z

This+article+presents+a+list+of+stories+that+will+appeal+to+a+Gen-Z+audience.+Design+by+Dia+Cohen.+
Dia Cohen
This article presents a list of stories that will appeal to a Gen-Z audience. Design by Dia Cohen.

Horror films are meant to scare, keep people awake at night and make them paranoid. Horror has always been a popular genre so in most films there is a common theme but here’s 5 horror films that aren’t a part of the Scream Franchise to end the spooky season.

Tragedy Girls (2017)

If a girl and her friend had an online show, they obviously talk about makeup and boys right? For Sadie and Mckayla, gruesome crime is the topic of discussion not boy drama. This inspires them to take action not to solve crime but to commit crime. The use of social media is evident in this film. They want to gain traction across platforms which is what most of gen Z wants. They will literally kill to be legends.

Ma (2019)

There’s always that adult that peaked in high school and the one who didn’t. Ma always wanted validation so she takes in some students as her friends but these students aren’t her friends. They soon realize this lady that provides them with freedom can easily take it away. Remember mother knows best.

Spree (2020)

A young man named Kurt, played by the charismatic Joe Keery wants to be viral so he starts live streaming his rideshare drives, relatable right? The more traction he gets the more gruesome his crimes become. The customers don’t ever make home and they certainly won ‘t be able to leave a good review.

Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022)

A film from the amazing A24 Studios who embody a whole generation with films. The screenplay for this slasher film is filled with realistic teenage dialogue. Which accurately represents teens. So when a friend group hosts a party people start dropping like flies now it’s a who done it party. The friend group is now torn on who they can and can’t trust. Betrayal from a friend is like a stab in the back. 

Totally Killer (2023)

This film is a mix of Back to the Future and most slasher tropes and it’s actually funny! Starring Kiernan Shipka as Jamie, a teen who lives in a town with killer lore. A masked killer killed some teens at a party 35 years ago, guess who comes back when Jamie wants to party? Her mother warns her to not go out but why? This film has all the classic tropes with some surprising twists it’s great to watch when acts in other horror films feel to real.

About the Contributors
Hawa Osman
Hawa Osman, Student Life Editor
Hawa Osman is the Student Life Editor for Manual RedEye. You can contact her at [email protected].
Dia Cohen
Dia Cohen, Photo and Design Editor
Dia Cohen is the Photo and Design Editor for Manual RedEye this year. She loves to read, play piano, draw and stargaze. She is passionate about covering criminal justice issues. In short, she's a real renaissance woman. You can contact her at [email protected].