Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

How Manual students fight against procrastination

Photo courtesy of Brett Jordan on Unsplash.

As students settle into routines and become comfortable with the new school year many students’ motivation to get their work done has already started to decrease. The idea of a new school year motivates many students to stay on top of their work and give their best effort into everything that they turn in. As students become tired with the routine and no longer have any desire to complete their assignments their motivation will decline and grades will drop.

So what are some of the ways that Manual students use in order to fight against the cycle of stress and procrastination?

Jacob Sanford, a Manual sophomore plays baseball, esports, and is a member of the chess and quick recall teams. Sanford takes AP Seminar and AP Macroeconomics. His busy schedule is stressful at times, but he tries to manage his time as wisely as he can.

“I try to utilize my study skills and the time I have between school and after-school sports,” Sanford (HSU, 10) said. Most Manual-sanctioned practices don’t begin until at least 3 or after. This provides students with at least 40 minutes they can use to work on any assignments they may have. 

Many students choose to sleep or get on their phones during their study skills block. While sometimes study breaks or a quick nap are really needed, this is a valuable block of time that they could be using to complete homework, study, or plan their schedules out in advance to help them be more prepared for upcoming events. It may seem small but those 90 minutes could greatly decrease stress later in the day if used productively. 

It’s easy for many students to let homework and missing assignments pile up on them at Manual. It’s important to not procrastinate and things done before the due date . The pressure of writing a four page essay at 10 pm will only decrease the quality of work and increase stress levels. 

“I 100% procrastinate till the last minute all the time. I think it affects the quality of my work by just making it look and sound more rushed when it could be 10 times better,” Audrey Donaldson (J&C, 11) said. Donaldson juggles 2 jobs, her social life, and spending time with family all while being a student athlete who plays lacrosse.

Despite the stress that comes with being a student at Manual, it’s important to spend time with those they love as well as time doing things that they are passionate about in order to maintain their mental health. While school is important, so is the mental wellbeing of the student body. Students can reach out to a trusted teacher or their counselor for additional support with managing their schedules or if they need someone to talk to. 

Having good mental health helps drive a productive mindset and increases motivation. Finding a way to balance hobbies as well as schoolwork will improve the focus and help them get their assignments completed in a more timely manner. 

The things students devote their time to are all intertwined in different ways. Choosing to devote too much time to school will result in burnout, but students not giving themselves time to complete their assignments will cause added stress as well as poorly affect their grades. Finding the balance that works best for them takes trial and error but will greatly improve many aspects of a students life. 

Maddy Wilson
Maddy Wilson, Staffer
Maddy Wilson is a staffer for Manual RedEye. You can contact her at [email protected].