We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

We tell stories that matter.

Manual RedEye

Support Us
$1005
$2500

Your donation will support the student journalists of duPont Manual High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

How NuLu fosters a sense of welcome to all

Isabella Edghill
NuLu is a place that offers many things to do for Kentuckians and tourists alike.

Only a day’s trip to other metropolitan cities, such as St. Louis, Indianapolis and Nashville, Louisville is a gateway to the south, with the New York Times recognizing it as one of the ‘52 Places to Travel in 2023’ in the world and as one of the 10 cities on Travel + Leisure’s 2023 list of ‘Best Food Cities in the U.S.’ As such, Louisville is quickly becoming a destination city for many travelers with old neighborhoods and pop-up locations coming back to life, one of them being NuLu.

Technically known as the East Market District, NuLu is a portmanteau meaning “New Louisville”. For reference, a portmanteau is a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others. NuLu consists of a multitude of diverse restaurants, like Guacamole and Mayan Cafe, retail and boutique stores, like Lou-A-Bull and WOW, fitness and beauty centers, and other local attractions, like Flying Axes. Primarily located on East Market Street in Downtown Louisville, Nulu expands from River Road to Liberty Street, between Preston Street and Chestnut Street. 

NuLu is also home to annual festivals such as Bock Fest, NuLu Summer Fest and NuLu Fest. NuLu is not limited to these events, however, as there are consistent events in the neighborhood throughout the year.

In a RedEye article, published in September, Louisville teens expressed that they “do not know where they are welcome”. NuLu, chock-full of stores, art galleries, and other attractions, is one space where teenagers can feel welcome anytime, according to NuLu Business Association President Katie Meinhart

“NuLu definitely has something for all ages. Great food at all different price points, fashion for all ages and genders, and so many events throughout the year with vendors appealing to all different types of people,” said Meinhart. Meinhart is also the owner of Six Sisters Boutique. 

It is guaranteed that in NuLu, visitors of all ages will find something to enjoy, and if you’re unsure about where to go, look below:

Biscuit Belly

Highlighted in a previous RedEye article, Biscuit Belly is a chic restaurant, serving–as one can guess—biscuits. Featuring 13 biscuit sandwiches, as well as four takes on the classic biscuits and gravy, they also offer biscuit free meals,, like avocado toast, loaded breakfast tater tots, pancakes or a breakfast bowl. With their popularity boosting, Biscuit Belly is spreading from the East Coast to the southwest United States. Notjust limited to breakfast, Biscuit Belly also offers brunch and lunch. If you want a coffee or a light snack, such as their bonuts, which are biscuit donut holes, Biscuit Belly welcomes you in. 

Six Sisters Boutique

Though owned by Meinhart, it is her and her 5 sisters that curate the Six Sisters Boutique. The store is full of a collection of women’s fashion, from sizes XS to 3X, where according to their website, you can “find southern hospitality mingled with a carefully curated selection of comfort and classic styles for your everyday woman.” In fact, according to their website, Six Sisters Boutique “strives to create an atmosphere inclusive of all people no matter their gender, race, religion or otherwise,”. The store also features jewelry, handbags and other accessories. 

Mahonia

Mahonia primarily sells plants and pottery, but there is something for everybody–you don’t have to have a green thumb–whether you’re looking for a moth orchid or a keychain. The store’s ambience feels like stepping into a luscious, green garden, mixed with a hodgepodge of other eclectic trinkets and home goods. One unique aspect of Mahonia is that they have a workshop center at the back of the store, where they offer classes teaching participants how to create terrariums, moss art, wreaths and other seasonal crafts. If you’re looking to start growing your green thumb, Mahonia will certainly help.

Peace of the Earth

A literal down to earth store, Peace of the Earth is centered around “mindful gifts for the home, body, and spirit,” according to their website. As such, they offer products such as oils, butters, soap and creams as well as crystals, candles, tea, calming stones and more. However, they also offer other decor, accessories and gourmet products. Peace of the Earth also has a refillery in the store, where you can purchase between several brands of natural bulk bath, body and home care products by the ounce or single item. 

Macaron Bar

A quaint little bakery, Macaron Bar sells a wide variety of French sandwich cookies, from traditional flavors like cookies & cream, vanilla and birthday cake to unique and seasonal flavors like lemon lavender, churro, mint julep and spiced pumpkin. Though in a higher price range for baked goods, it is a perfect, small treat to share with friends or give as a gift to a loved one. 

Meinhart also has a couple of suggestions, too:

“Walking NuLu itself is a always a great day out. But I’d recommend coming down for Flea Off Market, checking out Vintage Vibe, grabbing a coffee or lavender lemonade and cookie from Please & Thank You. Great photo spots include Red Tree’s courtyard, the entryways to NuLu Marketplace and plenty of great murals. If you want to get active, I’d also recommend checking out Climb NuLu where you can do indoor rock climbing too!”

Whether or not you explore these recommended restaurants and stores, exploring the neighborhood on your own time is sure to be rewarding. If you need any guidance, check out this NuLu map and business directory for guidance. 

As summed up by Meinhart, “NuLu is such an amazing place for small business[es] to thrive! With all different kinds of business, different dining options, and the beautiful historic buildings I think it’s been organically curated into a spot where people from all over the world can enjoy what Louisvillians have created. That’s pretty special!”

About the Contributors
Katie Dikes
Katie Dikes, Staffer
Katie Dikes is a staffer on Manual RedEye. She loves to write about all things sports, as well as covering Manual athletic events. In her spare time, she loves to listen to 80's music, watch any and everything sports-related, bake, binge Netflix, and read cheesy romance novels. You can contact her at [email protected].
Isabella Edghill
Isabella Edghill, Webmaster
Isabella Edghill is Webmaster for Manual RedEye this year. She enjoys reading and playing the violin, and is passionate about exploring issues around diversity, identity and empowerment. You can contact her at [email protected].